• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What attacked this Pogo Californicus ant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jasond1979 - Posted October 14 2016 - 7:13 PM

jasond1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara Calif
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WpOF8lWLDEg

Out scouting colonies where I work near San Diego by the ocean. Want to be ready next year to get a queen 👸. Anyways find this medium size colony of what I believe is Pogonomyrmex Californicus and about 18 inches away is a different colony of ants that are almost as big they move in a jerky fashion. And I noticed that every time a Californicus worker would wonder over she would get jumped by one ant and get beat up and run away like her pants were on fire. These ants almost looked like they had a darkish bottom with a white stripe across it.

I filmed it in slow mo so you could see the action.

1. What ant spieces do you think it is?

2. Would they do well in captivity if you had a queen.

3. Why would they be so close to the Californicus colony if all they are going to do is beat the heck out of them.

Anyhow thanks for ur time watch in HD for better picture

Jason

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 14 2016 - 7:53 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I will guess myrmecocystus or Novomessor
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 14 2016 - 8:52 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

It might be Formica. That would explain the acid spraying. Honestly, there's no way to tell. We would need closer picks of the worker.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 15 2016 - 2:04 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Along the coast it is almost certainly Formica, Pogonomyrmex are notorious wimps. You need to post pictures though.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2016 - 2:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you held the camera the way you would actually watch a video, your footage would have been almost four times larger.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 15 2016 - 5:47 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If you held the camera the way you would actually watch a video, your footage would have been almost four times larger.

You know the camera sensor doesn't actually record fewer pixels when recording in portrait orientation, right?

Your computer's display centers and scales the footage properly to fit, given your screen's orientation and aspect ratio. If your display were adjusted to portrait orientation, it would fill the entire screen.

Your view of the world being different from someone else's, is excuse for neither ignorance nor rudeness.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline jasond1979 - Posted October 15 2016 - 5:57 AM

jasond1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Good points guys I've marked where the nest is, and will capture one and try to take a picture of the aggressor magnified. I think the Californicus was getting sprayed.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 15 2016 - 6:07 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Wouldn't Formica be faster? I have never seen a Formica not run at super speed
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#9 Offline jasond1979 - Posted October 15 2016 - 9:23 AM

jasond1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Wouldn't Formica be faster? I have never seen a Formica not run at super speed

They actually are moving quite fast in sports I filmed it in my iphones slo mo mode

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2016 - 12:04 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You know the camera sensor doesn't actually record fewer pixels when recording in portrait orientation, right?

Your computer's display centers and scales the footage properly to fit, given your screen's orientation and aspect ratio. If your display were adjusted to portrait orientation, it would fill the entire screen.

Your view of the world being different from someone else's, is excuse for neither ignorance nor rudeness.

:lol: Someone's sour today.

BTW, if it was just "my view of the world", then televisions and movie screens would be tall instead of wide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users