• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Thoughts on Mosquito Eradication

mosquitos zika malaria loopsiscool

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 12 2016 - 6:00 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Here’s a good read.

http://www.bbc.com/n...gazine-35408835

I read online that Bill Gates himself raised $75 Million to aid in the eradication of mosquitos, specifically the blood sucking sub species we all hate. I myself am on the fence. How bad would this be for our biodiversity? On the other hand, how at-risk are we all to diseases and viruses such as Zika? If you eradicated these mosquitos, would the zika virus and malaria go bye bye with it?

Thoughts?

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 12 2016 - 6:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The methods we typically go about doing it, using pesticides instead of releasing genetically modified mosquitoes, are incredibly destructive and harm much more than the mosquitoes; it poisons insects that are not mosquitoes, it poisons animals that eat mosquitoes, and it removes mosquitoes from the food chain. When you look back at the mosquito eradication efforts from earlier in the century, we are nothing but ashamed about it. I'm not on the fence about it -- I know it is a bad thing, and symptomatic of our lack of self-awareness in the ecosystem. It is not going to end the world, but it could be just another small part of what does.

• gcsnelling, ctantkeeper and Salmon like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 12 2016 - 7:34 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I feel its is one of those scenarios where right now, we have the scientific understanding that eradication could have minimal consequences to ecosystems. The Key word is could. In 100 years we could greatly regret a decision for eradication. Of the roughly 1500 known species of mosquitoes, only a few hundred affect humans. The rest play important roles in ecosystems such as pollination. I think a better method would be to research and target specific species of mosquitoes that are known to carry disease with a late acting sterile insect technique, like this paper discusses: https://bmcbiol.biom.../1741-7007-5-11.

• Loops117 likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 12 2016 - 7:34 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

The methods we typically go about doing it, using pesticides instead of releasing genetically modified mosquitoes, are incredibly destructive and harm much more than the mosquitoes; it poisons insects that are not mosquitoes, it poisons animals that eat mosquitoes, and it removes mosquitoes from the food chain. When you look back at the mosquito eradication efforts from earlier in the century, we are nothing but ashamed about it. I'm not on the fence about it -- I know it is a bad thing, and symptomatic of our lack of self-awareness in the ecosystem. It is not going to end the world, but it could be just another small part of what does.

I would like to assume they're going to use the same method as we used to eradicate the screw worm in florida back in '86, and hopefully again today with the new outbreak of screw worms in the keys.

They sterilized thousands of males and released them back into the wild. Female fly mates with sterile male and produces infertile eggs. They continued to do this until the fly was completely gone. Since the mosquitoes we want gone is such a small percentage of the actual mosquito genus, i don't feel like it would hurt our actualy bio-diversity. Atop that, we can use the sterilization method to target specifically this species.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted October 12 2016 - 7:35 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I think, humans are crossing the lines with mosquito eradication. I had already knew about this and was disscussing it with my buddy! Their messing with the food chain, which could end up causing other species to go extinct. Once their gone, their gone!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Subverted - Posted October 12 2016 - 11:43 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Bill Gates is not really in the business of sound approaches to fixing any of the problems in the world. The Gates foundation does whatever gets them the best publicity and damn what the world actually needs.

How they pushed common core curriculum is a perfect example of them paving the road to hell with good intentions. How they approach "fixing" poverty is another.
  • dermy likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 12 2016 - 11:47 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The problem isn't so much about eliminating a specific mosquito, but accidentally harming many, many other species in the process:

• gcsnelling and ctantkeeper like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline Salmon - Posted October 12 2016 - 12:44 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Genetically engineered mosquitoes are certainly the best idea, but the phrase "government plans to release millions of genetically engineered mosquitoes!" is scary enough that the idiotic anti- GMO crowd will bring it to a halt. They'd rather we just spray poison everywhere, so long as nobody's creating GMO frankensquitoes...

• gcsnelling likes this

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted October 12 2016 - 1:50 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Mosquitoes seem like too small of an insect to do much harm at all. Although, this will put some mosquito repellant businesses closed, but I'm sure some will find an alternative, such as chigger repellent. Honestly, chiggers should be eradicated :P .

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 12 2016 - 9:27 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Its like if they needed to cut down a single tree, but instead took a bunch of TNT to take it down instead.

#11 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 13 2016 - 5:24 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

You guys are all assuming they're gonna use pesticides. We have much better tech now then we did years ago.

Sterilizing males of a specific species will only impact that specific species, and it can't transfer to other species of mosquitoes since they're sterilized and cross breeding?

• kellakk likes this

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 13 2016 - 7:42 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You guys are all assuming they're gonna use pesticides. We have much better tech now then we did years ago.

Sterilizing males of a specific species will only impact that specific species, and it can't transfer to other species of mosquitoes since they're sterilized and cross breeding?

They literally are using pesticides, because it is cheap.

Edited by Batspiderfish, October 13 2016 - 7:42 AM.

----

#13 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 13 2016 - 7:56 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

They literally are using pesticides, because it is cheap.

Have they already started to eradicate? I really hope they're not.

#14 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 13 2016 - 12:46 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I am fine with eradicating a few species of mosquito but many species do not drink as much blook and I think they are fine
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#15 Offline dermy - Posted October 14 2016 - 3:08 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

As far as the "erradicating Malaria" goes I doubt it, it's a disease, they are really smart at adapting, they'll just choose another host species to use as carriers or find other ways to mutate and cause infections.

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 14 2016 - 5:40 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

We were talking about zika, a viral disease which doesn't kill nearly as many people. Malaria is a protist infection that can only be transmitted by one genus of mosquitoes.

Is anybody realizing that we aren't just going to be killing mosquitoes? Because a targeted eradication would be too expensive?

Edited by Batspiderfish, October 14 2016 - 5:43 AM.

----

#17 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 14 2016 - 5:56 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

We were talking about zika, a viral disease which doesn't kill nearly as many people. Malaria is a protist infection that can only be transmitted by one genus of mosquitoes.

Is anybody realizing that we aren't just going to be killing mosquitoes? Because a targeted eradication would be too expensive?

Well, idk how expensive. And idk how much this dents the cost but i read bill gates donated or raised $75 million towards it.

#18 Offline spider_creations - Posted October 15 2016 - 9:57 PM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

I agree with loops it wrong to think that they would use pesticides, and it's safe to say sure there are many of the people who are working on it are taking in consideration of what ecological effect what ever they do use will cause

Edited by spider_creations, October 15 2016 - 9:59 PM.

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 16 2016 - 3:49 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Of course they are going to use pesticides, anyone that thinks they won't is naive.

• Subverted likes this

#20 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 17 2016 - 5:49 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Of course they are going to use pesticides, anyone that thinks they won't is naive.

How are we being naive? We've used other processes in the past with success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users