• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pensacola, FL; What Pheidole species? (Worker ID)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted October 7 2016 - 5:14 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL
I found a colony yesterday in my yard that looked like Fire Ants at first, but I noticed they were Pheidole as I looked closer and saw the majors. They are pretty much light brown in color. The majors are about 5mm, and the minors are like 2-3mm. The dirt from the nest was only piled beside the nest entrance, rather than all the way around. I always find this unknown species in the shade, or their nest entrance will sometimes be underneath leaves. This nest was in a shaded area by some trees, a couple feet away from a Cyphomyrmex nest. Anyone have an idea on the species? Could it be P. morrisi?

Major Worker:
IMG_6130_zpsjfvbk4eg.jpgIMG_6129_zpsgvhhl8ja.jpgIMG_6117_zpsw4j3qsgn.jpgIMG_6115_zpszqbnatdp.jpgIMG_6108_zpsi7jwincr.jpg

Minor Worker:
IMG_6135_zpslehsinek.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, October 8 2016 - 7:46 AM.

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted October 8 2016 - 7:41 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL
Anyone?

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 8 2016 - 4:36 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members