• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mold problem got worse (colony in trouble)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted October 5 2016 - 4:18 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

The yellow mold has taken over a large part of the nest now. I've had them connected to a new nest for a few days now. I let the old nest dry out, and hydrated the new nest and added heat. Some workers found it right away, but only a few moved. Today I see they transferred the mold to the new nest, now I have two moldy nests and no idea where to go from here. They are dying off, and piling the dead on the mold. They are so slow, being so close to hibernation. I think this is the end for them. I will need to make a new nest, I have all mine used up at the moment.

I'm also scared my other colonies are at risk. Any suggestions? I'm going to try putting a heat lamp on the nest area to see if excessive heat will move them. But if I move them to the new nest will they transfer the spores?

4FoH6yo1CP43mnEpx03RwkeXpOlejc6bEHtjzeL9

8yrp-8xo2M-UpTXxqSZ6V0sgwK7fYZXfyfh9W-XG

PeDT0wyW8Opd1apRmcYHqd2SkSZLl-LpeBf92L1p

f8YcrGjOvNeVlqoz8Ls-_gg2lbpdcVb2MIvZrb0i

Edited by AntsMAN, October 5 2016 - 4:40 PM.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted October 5 2016 - 4:55 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Are they in the new nest yet? If there's only a few workers in there, I'd put the workers back and clean the new nest again. Then, I'd move the colony to the new nest. There's no escaping the spores, though. They're in the air, so they'll be in the nest no matter how much you clean it.  Eliminating the conditions that lead to mold is the only way to prevent mold from happening. I usually only have mold problems when I overhydrate.  Is that a Camponotus sp? They don't usually need very high humidity, I think about 30% would be perfectly fine.  I've left one of my Camponotus colonies dry for a month with no problems.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 5 2016 - 6:01 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
If that happened to me, I'd warm them up to 78F and then give them a test tube setup or two (with tin foil wrapped around the outside for darkness) that they can move into in a pinch. Once moved, I'd test the molding nests for moisture levels and ventilation. Doesn't Drew use springtails to clear mold; and aren't springtails easily found all over the place?
~Dan

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 5 2016 - 6:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Springtails are great for controlling mold, but if this is the same yellow mold that I frequently get, they might not be of too much help. They don't seem to like it.

#5 Offline Leo - Posted October 6 2016 - 1:01 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Aren't tarheel ant formicariums mold-resistant?

#6 Offline AntsMAN - Posted October 6 2016 - 4:02 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Are they in the new nest yet? If there's only a few workers in there, I'd put the workers back and clean the new nest again. Then, I'd move the colony to the new nest. There's no escaping the spores, though. They're in the air, so they'll be in the nest no matter how much you clean it.  Eliminating the conditions that lead to mold is the only way to prevent mold from happening. I usually only have mold problems when I overhydrate.  Is that a Camponotus sp? They don't usually need very high humidity, I think about 30% would be perfectly fine.  I've left one of my Camponotus colonies dry for a month with no problems.

I have kept them very dry. I'm going to do as suggested, get them out of the new nest and clean it with peroxide or vinegar, and go from there.

Edited by AntsMAN, October 6 2016 - 4:05 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 6 2016 - 5:38 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You might want to have them move back into test tubes.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline AntsMAN - Posted October 6 2016 - 6:05 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

You might want to have them move back into test tubes.

I have used up all my test tubes. I have some on order, but by then it will be to late.

I've dealt with mold before but this yellow crap has me stressed.

I'm going to put the nest in the sun, connect them to a clean setup, and let fate decide.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#9 Offline AntsMAN - Posted October 6 2016 - 1:03 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I found a few tubes and made this setup, and put them under the light. I also noticed the mold was underneath the out world material. Now soaked it in vinegar until it was a saturated. I went through all my colonies to make sure they were clean. And I'm doing a extra cleaning of my ant area.

I need a sterile environment, bad.

UL2GgZzZDR76bgeHdSHeLWUhvn1UhMbWvFlXHw5Q

Edited by AntsMAN, October 7 2016 - 3:03 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#10 Offline AntsMAN - Posted October 6 2016 - 2:15 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

They just won't move, its over 100F beside the light. They are the most stubborn little buggers. If they don't move soon they are going to cook.

Edited by AntsMAN, October 6 2016 - 2:51 PM.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#11 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 6 2016 - 4:17 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Hmmmm don't let em cook

YJK

#12 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 6 2016 - 6:19 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I presume that those tubes are what you want them to move in to. Perhaps they are too cold and bright?
~Dan

#13 Offline AntsMAN - Posted October 10 2016 - 1:53 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I tried everything to get them to move and they won't. They are dying off pretty fast now. Both of the new setups I gave them they filled with their dead.

This colony was given the same treatment and food as the others. Not sure what's going on here? The mold isn't growing anymore as the old nest is far to dry.

It's kind of sad to watch them stumble around and collapse, not knowing what if anything I can do for them.

The old nest I let soak over night in vinegar and It soaked through to the bottom. I rinsed and let it dry, but I can still see the bits of yellow mold sandwiched between the acrylic and nest material where I cannot remove it. Will it start growing again or will the vinegar have had time to kill it? Should I throw it away?

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 10 2016 - 2:11 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Throw it away...
Ask TarHeelAnts for a refund btw

YJK

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 10 2016 - 3:31 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Throw it away...
Ask TarHeelAnts for a refund btw

I don't see how this is a fault of the nest? It looks from the picture the mold is growing on debris or dead ants (I've had the exact same issue before). There's also no reason to throw it away. Clean it out well after you get them moved (I use alcohol then bake in the summer sun for a few days). While that doesn't definitively kill mold spores, keeping the humidity and debris regulated has helped mine prevent mold.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 10 2016 - 6:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Soak it with alcohol.

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 10 2016 - 6:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I'm really tired of people guessing at what kills mold. Here are the facts:

Fungi thrive in acidic environments. Vinegar, a weak (acetic) acid, will not kill fungal spores, but will suppress growth temporarily, until it all evaporates away.

Alcohol, again, has a drying effect on the fungus itself, but will not kill the spores, only keep them from germinating, until it evaporates away.

For hard, non-absorbent surfaces, only hydrogen peroxide or a strong, oxidizing base like sodium hypochlorite (aka bleach) will actually kill the fungal spores. Unfortunately with any plaster or grout formicarium, the molecules are too big to fully penetrate the medium. Still, it is the best option, short of dry heat.

Dry air hearing over 140 C (285 F) for 3 hours will guarantee complete sterilization. This is only possible with glass and heat-resistant materials, however.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 10 2016 - 6:16 PM.

• Reacker and Alabama Anter like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#18 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 10 2016 - 6:20 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
BLEACH!!!!!!!!!! What about Tide Pods?
Sorry I had too...

YJK

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 10 2016 - 6:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm really tired of people guessing at what kills mold. Here are the facts:

Fungi thrive in acidic environments. Vinegar, a weak (acetic) acid, will not kill fungal spores, but will suppress growth temporarily, until it all evaporates away.

Alcohol, again, has a drying effect on the fungus itself, but will not kill the spores, only keep them from germinating, until it evaporates away.

For hard, non-absorbent surfaces, only hydrogen peroxide or a strong, oxidizing base like sodium hypochlorite (aka bleach) will actually kill the fungal spores. Unfortunately with any plaster or grout formicarium, the molecules are too big to fully penetrate the medium. Still, it is the best option, short of dry heat.

Dry air hearing over 140 C (285 F) for 3 hours will guarantee complete sterilization. This is only possible with glass and heat-resistant materials, however.

Hey, I only said alcohol because I actually just specifically asked my microbiologist friend the other night if it kills spores, and she said yes.

• Chandlerk likes this

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 10 2016 - 6:41 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Benzyl alcohol, or another aromatic might, but definitely not isopropanol or ethanol.

You only have to look under a microscope to see what happens to the spores. Alcohol does nothing but dry out the fleshy fruiting bodies, which are very porous and filled with water. H2O2 and similar oxidizing agents actually penetrate the cell wall and bleach the entire spore.
  • Chandlerk likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users