• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA; 2016-10-2

Best Answer Canadian anter , October 2 2016 - 5:18 PM

Ponera pennsylvanica :( these are very hard to raise I have at least 15 failed attempts Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Teafoot - Posted October 2 2016 - 3:05 PM

Teafoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

I spotted this queen as she was shedding her wings, so definitely not a worker or male.

1. Location of collection: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, on a paved small road on a sandy patch
2. Date of collection: 2016-10-2, about 4:00 PM
3. Habitat of collection: A small road bordering a neighborhood and a little bit of woods
4. Length (from head to gaster): 3/16 to 1/4 inches
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: All black, maybe some stripes on the gaster. Reddish brown antennae, legs, and stinger.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Stinger, mandibles about 1/2 as long as head. One node. Legs are probably about 1/2 as long as the whole ant, same with antennae.
7. Distinguishing behavior: I picked her up to see if she would sting me (bad idea) and she tried, but I didn't feel anything. I also didn't feel her bites. Likes to stay on the ceiling of my habitat (although that may be general). (Edit) She seems to be either interested or eating a dead fruit fly I gave her (squished off my water glass). She keeps moving it around and seems to be eating it.
8. Nest description: Not the sandy patch she was found in, but other than that, not sure. If no one figures it out today, I will look tomorrow afternoon.

Starting to look weirder and weirder the longer I look at her...

I hope those work because I have had very bad luck with Imgur in the past.

She is in a small Tupperware with a magnifying glass over the top for observation, because my habitat is hard to see into. (to be moved soon)

Edited by Teafoot, October 2 2016 - 3:35 PM.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:18 PM   Best Answer

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Ponera pennsylvanica :( these are very hard to raise I have at least 15 failed attempts
  • Teafoot likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Teafoot - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:20 PM

Teafoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Thanks for the reply, being a beginner this could be a challenge. Should I release her and find a new queen or try to stick with it and risk running out of time to catch another?

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:25 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
She need's a worker to survive
She is also semiclaustral

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:28 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
She would need another worker to help her in captivity but I would keep it anyways.By the way she is semi claustral

#6 Offline Teafoot - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:35 PM

Teafoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Do I need to find one of the same species and put it in the habitat? I've never heard of an ant like that :) .

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm so pleased to see you can properly post pictures on a forum. :D

#8 Offline Teafoot - Posted October 2 2016 - 5:53 PM

Teafoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Thanks Drew!

Canadian Anter, I see what you mean. I figured it was semi-claustral, from its behavior and my general observation that they tend to fly later than other species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users