• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Needed - Melbourne, Australia - 30/09/16

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lucy - Posted September 29 2016 - 7:26 PM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Hi guys,

I found this queen two weeks ago in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Some people in Facebook groups have suggested that she may be Ochetellus glaber or some sort of Technomyrmex - both of these types of queens look pretty similar to her, but I'm not totally sure, so I thought I'd ask here for some help.

Location of collection: Doncaster, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Date of collection: 17th of September 2016 in the afternoon.

Habitat of collection: In some grassy soil beside my concrete driveway. The "soil" isn't soft, it's sort of packed ground like clay - she was just walking around on top of it and hiding under plant leaves. There are small ant holes with colonies of little black ants in that area, I assume she's a queen of that species.

Length: 5 and a half mm

Coloration, hue, pattern and texture:  She's either black or brown, her legs and pincers are an orange colour. Lighter stripes on the gaster. Judging by the photos, I think she has some hairs but it's hard to tell. She seems more shiny than dull.

i0r4i2x.pngXH2Bx9E.pngjSFsQ2c.png

mrUF88t.pngf8HJJZV.pngthr4jxE.png

Edited by Lucy, September 29 2016 - 7:27 PM.

#2 Offline chickenman297 - Posted October 5 2016 - 12:39 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

She looks like an iridomyrmex purpureus

IriPur7j-XL.jpg

Edit: Looking at the length, seems a little short so take my ID with a grain of salt.

Edited by chickenman297, October 5 2016 - 12:40 AM.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 5 2016 - 7:12 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

As I said in the other forum, the presence of an acidepore acidopore eliminates the Dolichoderinae subfamily -- including Iridomyrmex, Ochetellus, and Technomyrmex. She is a formicine queen with 12 antennal segments, so probably something from Nylanderia or Prolasius. We need to count the teeth on the mandibles and get a look at the hair coverage of the antennal scapes. A well-lit picture of the side of the mesosoma might help as well.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 17 2017 - 6:08 AM.

• James C. Trager and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline kellakk - Posted October 5 2016 - 3:24 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Why are your pictures so small? I agree that some contrast to bring out the hairs on this ant would help with IDing it.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#5 Offline Lucy - Posted October 16 2016 - 8:34 PM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Apologies for the small photos, I thought it would be preferred as the originals were very large and I had seen mods commenting on other peoples' threads saying they edited the title with "large photos" as if it were a problem. I'll leave the photos large next time. These photos are taken in daylight, so I'm not sure if I can get it much lighter/with better contrast, but I can try.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2016 - 5:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

... I had seen mods commenting on other peoples' threads saying they edited the title with "large photos" as if it were a problem.

That was probably on a different forum. They're no problem here, as the forum software will automatically shrink them to the maximum size allowed. :)

#7 Offline Lucy - Posted December 2 2016 - 3:50 AM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

One of my queens of this species now has 3 nanitics, I've got a macro lens for my iPhone on the way which will hopefully help to identify them. :)

v3jTt2H.png (this is just with my phone without a macro lens, hopefully we'll get much better shots when it arrives)

Edited by Lucy, December 2 2016 - 5:49 AM.

#8 Offline NZAntKeeper - Posted December 2 2016 - 8:53 AM

NZAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
Hmm that queen really looks like a few of my queens. They said it could be Nylanderia.

My Youtube Channel
https://m.youtube.co...R--GtDfJdaJjWpQ

Species I have kept or are keeping
-Nylanderia sp?
-Pheidole sp
-Pachycondyla Castanea (I didn't catch the queen sadly)
-Monomorium Antarcticum
-Iridomyrmex sp
-Ochetellus Glaber

-Amblyopone Australis

#9 Offline Lucy - Posted January 15 2017 - 7:11 PM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I got some macro shots of one of these queens with her colony - I'm not sure if it's close or sharp enough to help ID. The green colouring is from their food being dyed, not a part of the sp. usual colourations.

Thanks in advance for any help!

VLRPFd3.jpg

T5wLkJO.jpg

8Ik67uK.jpg

TDtEn1P.jpg

• dermy likes this

#10 Offline Lucy - Posted January 15 2017 - 7:34 PM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I also took a video of them. :)

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 15 2017 - 11:04 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Now that we can see workers, I'm fairly certain this is a Nylanderia sp. Prolasius have a raised propodeum. Nylanderia are quite hairy.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 15 2017 - 11:12 PM.

• RapaNui likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#12 Offline Lucy - Posted January 16 2017 - 12:57 AM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Now that we can see workers, I'm fairly certain this is a Nylanderia sp. Prolasius have a raised propodeum. Nylanderia are quite hairy.

These little ones definitely have hair on the gasters :)

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 16 2017 - 5:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wait 'till they get pupae too. Nylanderia pupae are always naked (no silk cocoon).

#14 Offline Martialis - Posted January 16 2017 - 5:40 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

There seems to be a "naked" pupae in an earlier photo.

Spoiler

#15 Offline Lucy - Posted January 16 2017 - 7:23 AM

Lucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

These girls have naked pupae, no cocoons :)

#16 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 16 2017 - 8:40 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I think this is Prolasius

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#17 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 16 2017 - 9:12 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I think this is Prolasius

On which basis? I believe that the more typical shape of the propodeum and the hairiness of the workers (particularly on the head and mesosoma) is pretty damning.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 16 2017 - 9:13 AM.

----

#18 Offline Aaron567 - Posted January 16 2017 - 2:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

As I said in the other forum, the presence of an acidepore eliminates the Dolichoderinae subfamily -- including Iridomyrmex, Ochetellus, and Technomyrmex. She is a formicine with 12 antennal segments, so probably something from Nylanderia or Prolasius. We need to count the teeth on the mandibles and get a look at the hair coverage of the antennal scapes. A well-lit picture of the side of the mesosoma might help as well.

What is an acidepore? just curious

#19 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 16 2017 - 7:19 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

As I said in the other forum, the presence of an acidepore eliminates the Dolichoderinae subfamily -- including Iridomyrmex, Ochetellus, and Technomyrmex. She is a formicine with 12 antennal segments, so probably something from Nylanderia or Prolasius. We need to count the teeth on the mandibles and get a look at the hair coverage of the antennal scapes. A well-lit picture of the side of the mesosoma might help as well.

What is an acidepore? just curious

You caught me misspelling "acidopore" again. :D

An acidopore is an evolutionary feature of the Formicinae subfamily of ants (all ants belong to the family Formicidae). It's a ring of hairs found at the tip of the gaster. It presumably helps to direct formic acid, which all of these ants use instead of stings. With an experienced eye, you can recognize the shape of a gaster which has an acidopore even if the hairs are out of view.

• Martialis likes this

----

#20 Offline James C. Trager - Posted January 17 2017 - 6:05 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Definitely Nylanderia, probably, well I won't go there, because the Australian species need work, but right from the first post I've thought Nylanderia. The second image in post #9 above has a nice lateral view of a worker, showing the distinctive stout pilosity (standing hairs) of that characterize this genus. 

Edited by James C. Trager, January 17 2017 - 6:09 AM.

• gcsnelling and Batspiderfish like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users