• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

WalkerNom's Lasius Neoniger Journal [Ended]

lasius lasius neoniger walkernom

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WalkerNom - Posted September 26 2016 - 4:11 PM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

WalkerNom's Lasius Neoniger Journal

Last Updated: 3.8.2017

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Original ID Thread: http://www.formicult...016/#entry40408

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Date: 9.23.2016

Time: 5:25 PM

-----------------------------

As luck would have it I found this queen when I simply was heading out to the car to get something.  I happened to look down and I saw her wings shining in the sun as she slowly walked across my driveway.  Since I didn't have a container ready at the time, I panicked, as this was my first queen ant and I didn't want to loose her.  However, I was able to grab an empty water bottle from the car and get her into that with relative ease.

vuBmeB9.png

You might notice that she isn't in a test tube set up, that was because the test tubes I ordered weren't here yet.  So for water I soaked a cotton ball and placed it in the little cup I was keeping her in.  That seemed to work but I was worried the cotton ball would dry out overnight.  Around 12:00 AM when I was about to head off to bed, I decided to check on her and she had removed her wings!

While I was happy about that, I was pretty tired so I take out the cotton ball to re-hydrate it and the whole time she was an angel...at least until I put the cotton ball back in.  While I was tucking it into the corner she darted out of the cup, across my desk, and down the back of it, completely out of sight.  I bet you can imagine the horror I felt as I pulled my desk and all the furniture away from the wall.  

After tearing apart my room and searching like a mad woman, I still didn't find her.  So I did what any other person does when they royally f*** up...I sat on the floor in defeat.  After maybe 10 - 15 minutes of that, I saw her crawling across my floor and I quickly scooped her up.

Date: 9.24.2016

Time: 4:12 PM

Nothing really happened except that I moved her into a test tube set up after my test tubes finally arrived.  Still, I felt like it was worth mentioning and what would an update be without some pictures??

z8OPgDS.png

It's been really hard trying to just let her be and not check on her.  This is my first queen so I'm constantly worried I'm doing something wrong.  However, I plan on keeping myself occupied by going out and hopefully catching some more queens before the season is over and learning about and building my own formicariums.  It's almost time for me to hibernate her so hopefully that will help as well.

Edited by WalkerNom, March 8 2017 - 6:00 AM.

• CamponotusLover likes this

7JyD1cl.png

[ Lasius Neoniger Journal (Ended) ]

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 12 2016 - 11:15 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I can so relate to the first part with many of my ants.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline WalkerNom - Posted March 8 2017 - 5:57 AM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

Date: 3.8.2017

Time: 8:56 AM

I regret to inform you that this queen didn't make it. :( I checked on her in hibernation a few months ago and found her dead.  I suspect that it was too cold where I was hibernating her and she froze to death.

7JyD1cl.png

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:00 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I believe that it can take up to 2 weeks for queen ants to leave hibernation - unless you're for sure she's dead, I would leave it out just in case.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:09 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I believe that it can take up to 2 weeks for queen ants to leave hibernation - unless you're for sure she's dead, I would leave it out just in case.

Only Camponotus and maybe a few others look dead in hibernation. You can be fairly certain Lasius is deceased if it is not moving at all.

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:47 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

I hope everything turns well for you. They are beautiful queens though.

#7 Offline WalkerNom - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:09 AM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

Oh yeah, she was dead.  Thanks though.

7JyD1cl.png

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 8 2017 - 11:18 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Oh yeah, she was dead.  Thanks though.

Q.Q

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, lasius neoniger, walkernom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users