• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Species Help? | Delaware, USA | 9/23/2016

Best Answer WalkerNom , September 25 2016 - 11:05 AM

Once again, thank you!  I'm leaning towards Lasius neoniger myself now.  However, there is a chance she could be Lasius flavus.  I think the only real difference is the color of workers?  That being said, Lasius flavus has orange workers.  There's about 3 - 4 mounds in my yard that have orange workers.  But I haven't identified them yet.

Going back to the workers I mentioned earlier, I could go out in my yard anytime and find them so there must be a nest nearby.  They're all black but in the sunlight their gasters appear to have a golden shine to it.

Let's look at their nuptial flight times (courtesy of dspdrew's chart)

s8JLpwQ.png

A couple of you mentioned Lasius Pallitarsus but since I caught this queen in late September, I think it's safe to say it's too late for this species to fly.  It would also be a little bit late for Lasius flavus too.

I guess I won't really know for sure until her nanitic workers appear...but I have a feeling she's Lasius neoniger.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WalkerNom - Posted September 23 2016 - 3:44 PM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

1. Location of collection: Southern Delaware

2. Date of collection: 9/23/2016

3. Habitat of collection: Found in my driveway, but my house is on the edge of the woods, there is also a huge ditch almost directly behind my house that is sort of pond-like.

4. Length (from head to gaster): 8 - 9 millimeters 

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black head and thorax, her gaster is lighter in color almost tan.  Looks like the top of her gaster has about three black bands on it.  Smooth texture.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: None that I can think of.

7. Distinguishing behavior: Nothing really stands out to me other than when she was found she just casually walked by me, even when I was going to catch her she didn't panic.  She doesn't seem lethargic though, and was calmly crawling around the container.

8. Nest description: I haven't been able to locate the nest, but I always see workers of similar color to her so I'm assuming she's from that nest.  These workers are really fast and are relatively large at approximately 5 - 6 millimeters.  However, I'm not sure they're the same ant.

79BqJDd.jpg

oD0avUW.jpg

KEy6aBX.jpg

This time I know I have a queen lol, I just need help to figure out what species she is...Thank you!

Edited by WalkerNom, September 27 2016 - 5:54 AM.

7JyD1cl.png

[ Lasius Neoniger Journal (Ended) ]

#2 Offline Cooldude - Posted September 23 2016 - 4:35 PM

Cooldude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

lasius neoniger

https://www.google.c...TBnDzYQ_AUIBigB

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 23 2016 - 6:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I'm going to guess pallitarsis because of wing length
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 23 2016 - 7:24 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I haven't payed much attention to the wings, even though it seems to be a useful characteristic. Where did you find this tidbit?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 23 2016 - 7:38 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I read it somewhere off the Internet and from Dr. Ant
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline WalkerNom - Posted September 25 2016 - 7:11 AM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

Alright guys, thank you so much for the suggestions but I'm still not really sure what species she is...

So I tried to get some better pics and try some of the tips given on the forum.

She shed her wings the night of collection, so hopefully that will give you a better look at her gaster.

f0qZmFY.jpg

AkiFkAr.jpg

yEUDmZs.jpg

Edited by WalkerNom, September 27 2016 - 5:57 AM.

7JyD1cl.png

#7 Offline SaintDrake - Posted September 25 2016 - 7:50 AM

SaintDrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEvanston, Il

I am going to guess Lasius neoniger like several others because I couldn't find any evidence that says Lasius pallitarsis is in Delaware. However, that isn't the best evidence for it not being pallitarsis.

#8 Offline WalkerNom - Posted September 25 2016 - 11:05 AM   Best Answer

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

Once again, thank you!  I'm leaning towards Lasius neoniger myself now.  However, there is a chance she could be Lasius flavus.  I think the only real difference is the color of workers?  That being said, Lasius flavus has orange workers.  There's about 3 - 4 mounds in my yard that have orange workers.  But I haven't identified them yet.

Going back to the workers I mentioned earlier, I could go out in my yard anytime and find them so there must be a nest nearby.  They're all black but in the sunlight their gasters appear to have a golden shine to it.

Let's look at their nuptial flight times (courtesy of dspdrew's chart)

s8JLpwQ.png

A couple of you mentioned Lasius Pallitarsus but since I caught this queen in late September, I think it's safe to say it's too late for this species to fly.  It would also be a little bit late for Lasius flavus too.

I guess I won't really know for sure until her nanitic workers appear...but I have a feeling she's Lasius neoniger.

Edited by WalkerNom, September 27 2016 - 6:01 AM.

7JyD1cl.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users