• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

is it ok to feed colony dried milworms, rather than live insects?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Justicarab - Posted September 20 2016 - 6:06 PM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGreat United Republic of Texas.

does that provide atleast minimal nutrients they need? or will that cause the queen to die?

#2 Offline Salmon - Posted September 21 2016 - 3:23 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
It's not easy for them to eat dry crunchy stuff. You can sometimes find canned insects at pet stores.

#3 Offline AntsMAN - Posted September 21 2016 - 5:22 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Like Salmon said the workers are only able to ingest liquid foods, only the larvae can breakdown solid foods.

The food itself won't hurt your queen, but the lack of nutrients will. I breed meal worms and its really easy, little attention needed.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#4 Offline Justicarab - Posted September 21 2016 - 6:44 AM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

canned insects? interesting.

does it take alot of room to grow milworms? space is an issue for me.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 21 2016 - 6:56 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You can culture them in a plastic shoe box -- It doesn't take much room at all. You just need to make sure they have plenty of dry medium (oats work for me) and that they always have access to some sort of moist, vitamin-rich food, like slices of fruit and vegetables. Whatever you give the mealworms will be passed down to your ants.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Justicarab - Posted September 21 2016 - 10:35 AM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

You can culture them in a plastic shoe box -- It doesn't take much room at all. You just need to make sure they have plenty of dry medium (oats work for me) and that they always have access to some sort of moist, vitamin-rich food, like slices of fruit and vegetables. Whatever you give the mealworms will be passed down to your ants.

i imagine you culture them in a garage or something considering that they probably smell.

canned kinda sound more appealing, what kind of canned bugs should i look at for if that is what i end up using?

#7 Offline dermy - Posted September 21 2016 - 2:17 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

i imagine you culture them in a garage or something considering that they probably smell.

canned kinda sound more appealing, what kind of canned bugs should i look at for if that is what i end up using?

Mine never really smell, sure the beetles do smell if you mess around with them but it's nothing like crickets or something. Honestly as long as you take care not to get the medium wet or damp [mold] they do perfectly fine with minimum husbandry :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users