• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants in my area (California)

ants ants in an area

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Enderz - Posted September 19 2016 - 8:11 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Hey! I have been wondering what type of ants live in my climate/area! I live in Southern California near the ocean next to a mountain range. It is dry and cool (sometimes hot) and doesn't rain very much. If you guys would please give me a small list of ants that might live in my area for a starter like me! Thanks!

PS. I might live in almost the same climate as dspdrew!

~Jacob

Edited by EnderzATwar411, September 19 2016 - 8:16 PM.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted September 19 2016 - 8:16 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Antweb is a good start, but covers the whole state. Look at dspdrew's anting map and through his posts, he's documented his efforts to find ants in southern California pretty well. There are also a lot of socal people on the forum who will surely chime in soon.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Enderz - Posted September 19 2016 - 8:18 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Antweb is a good start, but covers the whole state. Look at dspdrew's anting map and through his posts, he's documented his efforts to find ants in southern California pretty well. There are also a lot of socal people on the forum who will surely chime in soon.

Got it! Thanks for the help!

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 19 2016 - 9:01 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I usually consult Drew's map first but there's still a lot of unexplored territory. There's quite a few areas in your area worth exploring, Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu, the open space near Culver City, etc. 

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline Enderz - Posted September 20 2016 - 6:14 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I usually consult Drew's map first but there's still a lot of unexplored territory. There's quite a few areas in your area worth exploring, Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu, the open space near Culver City, etc. 

How should i get the queens if i do go out there. I haven't had any experience catching ants :blink:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, ants in an area

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users