• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Charleston, South Carolina tiny, tiny ant?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jesse - Posted May 31 2014 - 10:34 PM

Jesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCharleston, South Carolina

1. I found these ants on my kitchen counter. I've seen them pretty much my entire life and I've always been curious as to what they are, but I've never tried to find out their name and stuff.
3. I've always seen them inside; never outside. I think they live in walls of buildings and stuff.
4.They look to be 1mm in length for workers.
5. They look like they're black all around.
6. They are very, very, very tiny. I had trouble looking at them with a magnifying glass and taking clear pictures was difficult so I don't think I have anything good, but I'll give it a shot. Hopefully these can be identified.

photo 2(1).JPG

photo 3(1).JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Sorry about the picture quality. I don't have a real camera so I had to use an iphone camera. I can try to get more pics if it's required.

Oh! And they're commonly called sugar ants in my region, if that helps at all.

Edited by Jesse, May 31 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted June 1 2014 - 6:51 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Tapinoma sessile probably.

Interestingly, this species has no ability to distinguish one colony from another in their species.  So they are all friends  and are known to split, bud, and re-merge their colonies with no problems.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2014 - 7:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Noway is it T. sessile, those are about 3mm in length. I think these are Brachymyrmex.

#4 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted June 1 2014 - 11:15 AM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
To sittel this try the squish then smell, if it's Tapinoma sessile then it will have a bad smell if not then it's most likely another species

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users