• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Shaking Queen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 17 2016 - 10:25 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I just found this queen.  Camponotus pennylvanicus I presume.  But she's behaving strangely; she shakes a lot.  Is this normal behavior?  Perhaps she came into contact with pesticides?  Anyone want to wager on how long she survives?  She'll be transitioned to a test tube setup in a few hours.  We'll see how things go from there.

~Dan

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 17 2016 - 10:32 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

That is a lot of shaking, but I see a behavior similar to this with many of my ants. I don't think it's reason to worry just yet, although if there is actually something wrong with her, there's not much you can do anyways.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted August 17 2016 - 1:24 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Pretty twitchy. Probably not good for the long term.

#4 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 17 2016 - 1:27 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

maybe she is having ant dreams

• LC3 and Works4TheGood like this

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 17 2016 - 1:53 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I gave her a bath  :D ... just in case it would help with any pesticides.  She's been surprisingly active ever since (several hours ago).  I'm guessing it's a coincidence though.  I'm guessing that she'll last 3 days.  Any contenders?

~Dan

#6 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 17 2016 - 2:00 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I gave her a bath  :D ... just in case it would help with any pesticides.  She's been surprisingly active ever since (several hours ago).  I'm guessing it's a coincidence though.  I'm guessing that she'll last 3 days.  Any contenders?

I give her a week. I've had a Pogonomyrmex. Occ. that i thought was going to die last weekend she was having trouble walking and she was still alive last night, but just barely she was mostly dragging herself around at that point.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 17 2016 - 9:39 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

She could live longer, barring any more drownings. 

• Works4TheGood likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 18 2016 - 8:11 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

She could live longer, barring any more drownings. 

Any more specific numbers?  I promise I won't put her in my "washing machine" again!

~Dan

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 18 2016 - 8:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm afraid to throw my guess in there because I'm assuming others will become quite upset that we are gambling with ants. I do hope she makes it....  though how DO you wash an ant? Run water over her? I am not going to but all of my queens...are....way too quick to let anything like that happen. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#10 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 18 2016 - 8:31 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I put her in a test tube filled almost completely with room temperature water and slowly turned the test tube upside down, right side up, upside down, etc. for maybe 15 seconds.  Many of my queens came from swimming pools where they visually looked like they'd drown.  I was often surprised that they were alive because they had clearly given up struggling long ago and were waiting for the inevitable.  So, I knew that 15 seconds was really nothing at all.

This Camponotus pennylvanicus queen is a big, heavy tank.  She's also at room temperature and possibly under the influence of insecticides.  She's really not quick at all.

For the record, I really hope she makes it too, but my hopes are low.  These queens are about the largest ants you'll ever find in the USA, and so she'd really be a unique item in my collection.

~Dan

#11 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 18 2016 - 12:44 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I put her in a test tube filled almost completely with room temperature water and slowly turned the test tube upside down, right side up, upside down, etc. for maybe 15 seconds.  Many of my queens came from swimming pools where they visually looked like they'd drown.  I was often surprised that they were alive because they had clearly given up struggling long ago and were waiting for the inevitable.  So, I knew that 15 seconds was really nothing at all.

This Camponotus pennylvanicus queen is a big, heavy tank.  She's also at room temperature and possibly under the influence of insecticides.  She's really not quick at all.

For the record, I really hope she makes it too, but my hopes are low.  These queens are about the largest ants you'll ever find in the USA, and so she'd really be a unique item in my collection.

I'm surprised you don't have a ton of these queens. When I visited my aunt near Pittsburgh Camponotus pennsylvanicus were everywhere. It just goes to show that state boundaries have nothing to do with the native ranges of ants.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#12 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 18 2016 - 7:43 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
This species is all over the place here in State College. I just don't normally see them in "queen" form! Or is that what you meant?
~Dan

#13 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 18 2016 - 7:47 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
Incidentally, this particular queen is still alive. She had been tearing away at the cotton a lot, and that seems like a good sign in regard to her health.

Going forward, I probably should not disturb her anymore or else she may postpone laying eggs. It's best just to check on here again in a month and see if she made it.
~Dan

#14 Offline soulkeeper79 - Posted August 20 2016 - 7:03 AM

soulkeeper79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIowa

My Queens do the same thing when they are jamming out to the sweet tunes of Creedence Clearwater Revival...

#15 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 23 2016 - 6:00 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
She died
~Dan

#16 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 24 2016 - 5:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Well.... I think I lost. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users