• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dealing with a stubborn P. Imparis queen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 15 2016 - 7:11 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I got a P. Imparis for another member and noticed a bit of mold starting to form on the cotton ball in the test tube around the edges. She's on a bit of a restart as she was in with other queens he said originally, and didn't really move out of her test tube with the rest of them/workers.  He separated her and she started laying again in her tube, and he gave her to me.  I connected a new tube, surrounded it in aluminum foil, covered it with a padded envelope as well so it's dark.  I put her underneath the light as I've read tips on.  However she literally picked up at least one of the visible eggs on the side, moved it to the middle of the cotton ball and refuses to budge after a few days (doesn't seem phased really by light at all.)  Any other suggestions to getting her to move and potentially bringing her brood with her?  

My concern is that if she did indeed restart laying after a bad start this season, not sure if she's up for a 3rd restart of laying if I just forced her over.  I really have wanted one of these queens for awhile, so really hoping not to overstress her...  

My other thought was if the mold isn't bugging her, just leave her alone in the dark for a couple weeks and just see what happens...

Thanks!

#2 Offline randeee - Posted August 15 2016 - 8:03 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I found that P. imparis were a huge hassle to move in general... They don't mind light but they can't stand heat. I recommend trying the heat but sometimes they don't move with heat either.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 15 2016 - 10:55 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Don't force queens to move unless absolutely necessary. Always give them access to a clean tube and let them move on their own. Stressing the queen out does more harm than a little mold ever will.

She might not have the resources to start another colony if she was separated from her communal workers and brood.

Edited by Batspiderfish, August 15 2016 - 10:56 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 15 2016 - 11:09 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

She might not have the resources to start another colony if she was separated from her communal workers and brood.

I was worried about this... Is she a lost cause or can I supplement her to help?

#5 Offline Saftron - Posted August 15 2016 - 1:24 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Give her some protein and a little drop of honey

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 15 2016 - 7:04 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

My colony is in a test tube with a good amount of mold and they are doing fine. I would recommend moving the queen once she gets 30 workers. My colony has 11 workers and they're so timid they won't even come to the end of the test tube, I can't even imagine trying to move them let alone a single queen.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 17 2016 - 4:31 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Thank you for all the replies.  I removed the extra tube for now and put in a bit of honey and some protein.  Will set her aside for a bit and not keep doting on her for a bit to see if she makes it.  Guessing one of those situations trying to do too much will probably make things worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users