• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Nuptial Flight 2016

dermy lasius nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted August 14 2016 - 1:03 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

August 13/2016 had a nice sized Lasius sp. Nuptial Flight. I'm not 100% on the subspecies but my guess is probably Lasius neoniger.

It was pretty cool to watch it happen, I never get to see anything like this so it was really nice, and made my trip outside pretty worth it. :D

• LC3 likes this

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted August 14 2016 - 8:22 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I wish I had Lasius Neoniger where I lived ;-;. Here we have Lasius Flavus and Alienus which I have never ever seen

• ctantkeeper likes this

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 14 2016 - 8:27 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'm still waiting for them to fly down here in MA.  Lasius Niger or Alienus flew last week, was pretty crazy, however didn't find any alates that night:

lcz-Ge7C227ZzR5q-QhUWCniREXZZWFx9qbeFBdu

EYTj2Gg_VKzeGslKZLMiYa-agwUp0TrXn-aT02ua

I had initially thought it was Lasius Neoniger as was in the middle of a bunch of Neoniger nests... but they just happened to be in close proximity.

Edited by noebl1, August 14 2016 - 8:33 AM.

• dermy likes this

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 14 2016 - 8:42 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I wish I had Lasius Neoniger where I lived ;-;. Here we have Lasius Flavus and Alienus which I have never ever seen

California has 16 species of Lasius, including L. neoniger, just so you know.  ;)

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Saftron - Posted August 14 2016 - 9:23 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

In the bay area there's only 4.

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 14 2016 - 11:41 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

In the bay area there's only 4.

Is there a resource that breaks up the ant diversity of California into regions? That could be useful to me.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 14 2016 - 3:30 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

BTW interesting observation tonight as noticed that this same colony may be flying tonight.  Male alates are coming out of one entrance, while female alates from another about 3 feet away.  Definitely a huge number of males vs females.

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 14 2016 - 4:46 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius spp. are flying again here in Maine! They are joined this evening by Brachymyrmex depilis.

Crematogaster sp., Aphaenogaster sp., and Solenopsis molesta have also been sighted.

----

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 18 2016 - 4:11 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Local colony considering flying again:

1EF5aS8sATo8wuWkejJyful3I79IBfU4Zo11ejzi

Edited by noebl1, August 18 2016 - 4:12 PM.

• drtrmiller likes this

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 26 2016 - 3:38 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

My favorite Lasius colony is flying again tonight.  We watched them climbing up small twigs and branches and taking off for a bit.  Still no sign of L. Neoniger flights by me.

#11 Offline dermy - Posted August 26 2016 - 3:52 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

My favorite Lasius colony is flying again tonight.  We watched them climbing up small twigs and branches and taking off for a bit.  Still no sign of L. Neoniger flights by me.

I'm guessing yours might happen a bit later like in Sept. sometime.

#12 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 26 2016 - 6:16 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Irony... @batspiderfish ID'ed my first L. Neoniger tonight.  May be a fluke, but still pretty happy.  Last species I was hoping to get this season (and sadly been waiting all season for...)

http://www.formicult...ssachusetts-usa

EDIT;  This is also NOT what I was seeing take flight earlier tonight.  They are smaller and much darker than the L. Neoniger queen I found.

Edited by noebl1, August 26 2016 - 6:19 PM.

#13 Offline Salmon - Posted August 27 2016 - 2:20 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Lasius neoniger are flying around here this evening, and all the insectivores are gorging themselves. I saw what I thought was a dead twelve- spotted skimmer (large, skittish dragonfly species) lying upside down on the road... Nope. It was so caught up in munching on a tasty lasius queen that the neither the fact that it was lying upside down or me walking over and picking it up seemed to concern it.

#14 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 27 2016 - 2:25 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Lasius neoniger are flying around here this evening, and all the insectivores are gorging themselves. I saw what I thought was a dead twelve- spotted skimmer (large, skittish dragonfly species) lying upside down on the road... Nope. It was so caught up in munching on a tasty lasius queen that the neither the fact that it was lying upside down or me walking over and picking it up seemed to concern it.

Ditto here too.  Caught a couple different varieties today, only 1 Neoniger last night though.  Neoniger just started flying in the last 20-30mins here.  Can't tell you how many of them I saw without gasters.  Like you, watched dragonflies eat the gasters, drop them, repeat. Over and over.

Edited by noebl1, August 27 2016 - 2:26 PM.

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 27 2016 - 5:22 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Ditto here too.  Caught a couple different varieties today, only 1 Neoniger last night though.  Neoniger just started flying in the last 20-30mins here.  Can't tell you how many of them I saw without gasters.  Like you, watched dragonflies eat the gasters, drop them, repeat. Over and over.

Just gotta wait till every dragonfly gets full.  :D

Such an unfair match-up. One of nature's worst fliers against nature's most talented flier.

----

#16 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 27 2016 - 5:27 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Kinda bums me out... pretty certain it marks the end of ant hunting here in New England :(

#17 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 27 2016 - 5:47 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Of the many flights today I saw, I think this may be L. Flavus?  Saw quite a few colonies of these taking off, but with the sunsetting and being on a heavily wooded trail, didn't take a lot of pics:

zmrlat5qjjQ8owvl_blNg6LyFv9wY7Mmpim3T1v8

#18 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 27 2016 - 7:40 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Kinda bums me out... pretty certain it marks the end of ant hunting here in New England :(

Whoa, buddy! Fall's just getting started. Lasius (niger) spp. and Lasius (Cautolasius) spp. will fly for a while longer, followed by the social parasites. We'll get lots of interesting myrmicines, including CrematogasterMyrmica, Myrmecina, and Aphaenogaster. Brachymyrmex will likely stick around for a bit as well. Ponera pennsylvanica and Stigmatomma pallipes (don't try to keep this one without a worker or an amicable, second queen) will be flying at the end of August, into September. We've had a drought this summer, and some of the ants' schedules are a little wonky from what they've usually been. If the Camponotus colonies don't have enough food to keep their alates over the winter, we could see another Camponotus flight.

Edited by Batspiderfish, August 28 2016 - 6:37 AM.

• noebl1 likes this

----

#19 Offline dermy - Posted August 27 2016 - 8:11 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Whoa, buddy! Fall's just getting started

Wish it were the same here, I'm expecting Winter in less than 2 months.

• Batspiderfish likes this

#20 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 28 2016 - 6:16 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

@batspiderfish:  Ok, that made me happy again  :D

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, lasius, nuptial flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic