• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can't find queens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YawningGull - Posted September 18 2016 - 5:34 PM

YawningGull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRenton WA

I feel like I'm wasting so much time looking for queens and getting almost nothing.

I look a day after rains, at like 3:00PM, for around an hour sometimes, and on the best days I will get 2 after looking for a while.

This is such a stupid waste of my time.

Does everyone else get this bad luck, even after rains? Am I looking at the wrong time?

Yesterday it rained all day after not raining at all for a while, so I went outside to look for ants. after looking for an hour, at like 2:50-3:50, I found nothing. What am I doing wrong?!

Edited by YawningGull, September 18 2016 - 5:36 PM.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted September 18 2016 - 5:42 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Maybe look in trees and stuff, in pools. I never find hardly anything running around.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Reacker - Posted September 18 2016 - 5:42 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

If you're getting 2 queens on good days you're doing pretty good for a new person. 

Are you anting only in town? If you are I suggest getting out of town where the more interesting ants are in greater quantities. You also need to get out in the morning, the earlier the better. Queens are delicious snacks for basically everything that eats so the longer you wait the less queens there will be as most of them get eaten and the few survivors dig down to start their colonies. 

And finally keep in mind that this takes patience. If you don't like long hikes then this might not be the hobby for you, but I suggest you readjust your scale for "long" and just spend more time outside. I think if you go earlier in the morning and just enjoy being outside you'll have a better time. 

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 18 2016 - 6:45 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I'm getting good amounts of ponders by lifting flat stones and stennama are comm on in piles of dried grass
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Justicarab - Posted September 19 2016 - 6:02 PM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGreat United Republic of Texas.

i found like 30 in the pool in my neighborhood. like 18ish died within the first few days, but i know i got 5 or 6 of them fully recovered. another good way is walk around a park or something like that with low foot traffic and lots of dirt patches, and look for small dug areas. i found 2 ants that way in less than 20 minutes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users