• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will Camponotus construct their own tunnels in a wood formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 3 2016 - 5:33 PM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any evidence of Camponotus constructing their own tunnels in a homemade wood formicarium like other ants would in sand or dirt?

The idea would be to place the queen in a founding chamber that is part of a larger piece of wood and let them expand it on their own.

Thanks,

B.

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 3 2016 - 6:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any evidence of Camponotus constructing their own tunnels in a homemade wood formicarium like other ants would in sand or dirt?

The idea would be to place the queen in a founding chamber that is part of a larger piece of wood and let them expand it on their own.

Thanks,

B.

I had a friend who had his colony dig their own chambers. The wood has to be soft enough for them to dig and it would be difficult to hydrate without it decaying.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 3 2016 - 9:05 PM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hey guys,

Thanks,

B.

I had a friend who had his colony dig their own chambers. The wood has to be soft enough for them to dig and it would be difficult to hydrate without it decaying.

Hmmm, OK, so we need a soft wood that can be tunneled but that is dense enough to stop decay but also allow hydration. that's a tough one...

#4 Offline kellakk - Posted August 6 2016 - 12:39 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

You really don't need to hydrate the wood if it's an arboreal Camponotus sp. As long as humidity is high enough their brood will develop no problem.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#5 Online dspdrew - Posted August 6 2016 - 1:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I actually have a setup just like this. I haven't posted pictures in a while, but I should. They have dug it out quite a bit now. I used rotted wood, and like I do with all my formicariums, seeded it with lots of springtails, mites, booklice, and I even have a colony of pill bugs living in there too. mine stays pretty damp towards the bottom and has absolutely no mold at all. When I first made it and it did not have those other organisms in it, the thing was completely covered in mold immediately. Nothing compares to springtails, booklice, and others when it comes to controlling mold. The ants don't ever seem to have any problem with them being there at all either. BTW, the Camponotus I have in that setup are my most successful colony of that species too.

• ctantkeeper and Bcam43 like this

#6 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 6 2016 - 3:32 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Please do post some pics, Drew. 

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 7 2016 - 8:43 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

yeah, pics please :)

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted August 7 2016 - 12:56 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I actually have a setup just like this. I haven't posted pictures in a while, but I should. They have dug it out quite a bit now. I used rotted wood, and like I do with all my formicariums, seeded it with lots of springtails, mites, booklice, and I even have a colony of pill bugs living in there too. mine stays pretty damp towards the bottom and has absolutely no mold at all. When I first made it and it did not have those other organisms in it, the thing was completely covered in mold immediately. Nothing compares to springtails, booklice, and others when it comes to controlling mold. The ants don't ever seem to have any problem with them being there at all either. BTW, the Camponotus I have in that setup are my most successful colony of that species too.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

• Kwitzats likes this

#9 Online dspdrew - Posted August 9 2016 - 6:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

med_gallery_2_194_781313.jpg

More here (http://www.formicult...5-2016/?p=38327)

• Kwitzats, Bcam43 and Chickalo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users