• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogo queen?! - CO 7/26/16

Best Answer XZero38 , July 27 2016 - 5:41 AM

Looks like Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis to me!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 27 2016 - 5:36 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Actually found TWO of these. Both had more-or-less similar set ups on my back patio. Lil dirt nests in the bricks. NO idea where they came from as I haven't seen Pogonomyrmex in my yard ever...

Title:
1. Location of collection - Firestone, CO. On my back porch - Walking on my bricks. 
2. Todays Date - 7/27/16

Body:
1. Location of collection - This is a picture of where I have found them - http://i.imgur.com/ZeyIgIQ -  she had it made. 

2. Date of collection  7/26/16      ~4:00 p.m. 
3. Habitat of collection  - backyard? 
4. Length  - Calipers showed !8 mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture - Red all over
6. Nest description - I should have taken a picture of it but I will describe it as a "mud-daupers nest" in the channel between my bricks. I can't believe I saw her running around. 
7. Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

One immediately began to dig when she touched dirt. I took videos of this because while my phone ....clearly operator error....I can't do decent pictures, it will do NICE videos. They both were doing the cleaning-dance. ....when people have compared them to dogs, not until I saw it roll on its side and clean its legs did I understand. It was fascinating to watch. Pictures of the two queens

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

Moved 1 into a somewhat..thing. 

hah...I looked in on them this morning. The one was in her foil-tube-house thingy. The other one...haha...buried her honey water. The video shows a flat earth with the honey-water on top. Now its...yeah..

I was very confident with these two being queens. Needing the confirmation from you'all - Though I didn't want to keep them in tiny containers. Knowing they were semi-claustal...this has been my temporary solution. The one who buried her drank will probably be moved to the other PT vase I've got-if I don't break it drillin' holes. Otherwise I might have to buy the glass for Drews Window-pane style. Though that is 10X more expensive than doin'' a 10-gal tank set up......We'll see. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#2 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 27 2016 - 5:41 AM   Best Answer

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Looks like Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis to me!

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 27 2016 - 6:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I did it! ...though I'm really...kinda starting to question my yard care....

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 28 2016 - 5:11 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Hijacked beginning content from first post for journal entry. If I knew how to delete this thread, I would do so at this point. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users