• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My anting adventures on campus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 22 2014 - 10:02 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

So after my summer school class, I took a wander out to the multitudes of wilderness on my campus. Braving the puzzled glares of my peers, I bushwhacked through the wooded area on hunt for ants.

Crematogaster cerasi <333 They shook their heart butts at me. Dangggg gurrrl, shake that gaster.

PhotoMay2133824PM.jpg

PhotoMay2133838PM.jpg

PhotoMay2133844PM.jpg

And also... a dead Camponotus alate. I manage to get my hands on a Camponotus, but she was dead D;. Sadtimez.

PhotoMay2140625PM.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 22 2014 - 11:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's about time you found some Crematogaster.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted May 22 2014 - 12:12 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Keep your eyes open for more Camponotus alates.  They tend to fly between 4pm and 7pm.  You can find them crawling around all evening.

I saw my first flight yesterday, and they tend to have several flights for a few weeks.  Best of luck!

You have Crematogaster down there, that is a very good start.  :D  

Maybe you will even find a queen when they fly.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Cole - Posted May 22 2014 - 2:26 PM

Cole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Those crematogaster are kind of cute. I found some at the local park. I collected a few and then slipped and fell into some stinging nettle. :lol: :sore:

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 22 2014 - 3:15 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Heart butt ants are my favorite genus of ants. =D

I looked so hard last year for any sign of heart butt ants. NOW I KNOW FOR SURE. And come august, I will find my queen of... wait for it... 8) hearts.

#6 Offline Lieutenant Redundant - Posted May 24 2014 - 5:51 PM

Lieutenant Redundant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Camponotus's are awesome.  I wish we had some of the C. pennsylvanicus kind here.  Is that what that one is?

#7 Offline LAnt - Posted May 24 2014 - 6:07 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Camponotus's are awesome.  I wish we had some of the C. pennsylvanicus kind here.  Is that what that one is?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/543/data Well it looks like you've just got to look in the right place.

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 24 2014 - 11:42 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was a C. pennsylvanicus. Haven't seen any other Camponotus alates since so pretty sad about that.

#9 Offline Lieutenant Redundant - Posted May 26 2014 - 12:32 AM

Lieutenant Redundant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

http://bugguide.net/node/view/543/data Well it looks like you've just got to look in the right place.

I think they live in Northern Florida.  :P  I would be shocked out of my mind to find a C. pennsylvanicus in Orlando.

#10 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 8 2014 - 12:57 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

The campus where I went for my undergraduate degree didn't really have many interesting ants. But I always manged to find a few. During nuptial flight season, I would walk around campus with a camera, collection viles and a "don't mind me" attitude.

My graduate school campus has many ants but not much variety. There is a large nest of Polyergus which is nice. No Crematogaster though. The closest I've found Crematogaster to my current location is 6 hours away ... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users