• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis polygynous?

pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex occidentalis

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 20 2016 - 8:03 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

The topic title says it all

I want to keep two of the queens together but i don't know if they would actually get along

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 20 2016 - 9:09 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

From what I understand Pogonomyrmex californicus and Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens can start a colony together but eventually all of the queens except the strongest will be kicked out of the nest shortly after the first workers arrive however, in some rare occasions the queens will work together for longer than that. The only way to find out would be for you to try it as I don't think anyone on here keeps Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Just be prepared to loose all of the queens involved.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 20 2016 - 9:50 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Not to hijack this into a different direction but can someone explain what's the difference between the types of Pogonomyrmex? They are all Pogonomyrmex ...Are Californicus from California? That wouldn't make sense calling the Rugosus from Rugo...Maybe they are more "rugged". I guess is there an example of this with more common items?

FOOD HYPOTHETICAL

-I've got red, green, and purple kool-aid. It's all koolaid - no matter how you look at it. Except there can be another classification in that the Red is Cherry-kool aid, Green is Lime, and Purple is Grape. 

-They are all Pogonomyrmex. Californicus is just another classification of Pogonomyrmex, just like Rugosus, barbatus, occidentalis, etc.

Might be a little bit of a stretch to compare ants to powdered drink mix but I think you understand what I'm getting at.. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 20 2016 - 10:20 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

From what I understand Pogonomyrmex californicus and Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens can start a colony together but eventually all of the queens except the strongest will be kicked out of the nest shortly after the first workers arrive however, in some rare occasions the queens will work together for longer than that. The only way to find out would be for you to try it as I don't think anyone on here keeps Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Just be prepared to loose all of the queens involved.

I have 14 Pogonomyrmex. Occ. queens and all of them are in their own setups except 2 i decided to experiment and see how they would act and so far they havent killed each other. Its only been a couple hours so i guess only time will tell

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 20 2016 - 10:29 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Now you have to report your scientific findings to the community so that we will claim it to be the golden truth!!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline kellakk - Posted July 26 2016 - 8:28 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Not to hijack this into a different direction but can someone explain what's the difference between the types of Pogonomyrmex? They are all Pogonomyrmex ...Are Californicus from California? That wouldn't make sense calling the Rugosus from Rugo...Maybe they are more "rugged". I guess is there an example of this with more common items?

FOOD HYPOTHETICAL

-I've got red, green, and purple kool-aid. It's all koolaid - no matter how you look at it. Except there can be another classification in that the Red is Cherry-kool aid, Green is Lime, and Purple is Grape. 

-They are all Pogonomyrmex. Californicus is just another classification of Pogonomyrmex, just like Rugosus, barbatus, occidentalis, etc.

Might be a little bit of a stretch to compare ants to powdered drink mix but I think you understand what I'm getting at.. 

Pogonomyrmex species are named using binomial nomenclature just like any other species. All the species have morphological differences, occupy different geographic ranges, are genetically distinct, and usually have other small differences.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#7 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 2 2016 - 5:36 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

The answer to this question so far is no they are not.

out of the 3 pairs i have 2 have killed their tube mate so i have one pair left

#8 Offline kellakk - Posted August 3 2016 - 2:56 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

That's unfortunate. They were not likely to work together anyway, at most they would be pleometrotic.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#9 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 23 2016 - 8:25 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I'm not to shaken by the loss, it was an experiment anyways since i had 19 queens in the first place.

#10 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 24 2016 - 5:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Oh you are devastated and losing sleep over it. Stop trying to act manly. 

• Canadian anter likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users