• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pokemon GO?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Air - Posted July 16 2016 - 5:29 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

OK. I can't be the only one who loves this game sooooooooooooo much. I've already ran 5 miles just to catch a pikachu.. Send help.

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted July 17 2016 - 12:39 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Its fun...Ingress is better! Same company and locations but way more addictive haha

Everything will be green.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline Confrere - Posted July 17 2016 - 12:53 AM

Confrere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Still waiting for the official release in Canada...

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 17 2016 - 3:28 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Who needs a silly game? Collecting ants is so much better and more challenging.

• dspdrew likes this

#5 Offline benjiwuf - Posted July 17 2016 - 4:32 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
The real world pokemon! Lol
  • gcsnelling likes this

#6 Offline Subverted - Posted July 17 2016 - 9:43 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Who needs a silly game? Collecting ants is so much better and more challenging.

Why not both? :D

I went out hiking/playing the other day and walked right into a P. californicus flight!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted July 17 2016 - 10:55 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

My cousins are heavily into.  I have never seen the one walk so much before.

A few suggestions though:

1. Wear comfy shoes and carry a phone to call someone in case your feet decide they don't like your plan.

2. Do keep an eye on your surroundings, my cousin accidentally walked into a small tree.

3. Be careful around strangers, most of the time things are good, but still keep your head on your shoulders (going with a friend is a great idea - the more the merrier!)

4. Download a walking charity app or two as well, so not only do you catch pokemon for your effort, but also raise money for a good cause.

5. For hobbyists like us, carry more test tubes and collection containers than pokeballs.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline Air - Posted July 17 2016 - 12:03 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Haha, its pretty great. I tried ingress, and didn't like it that much. I walked outside, stepped on a branch and stood on it, catching a pokemon. As I look down a species of Camponotus are happily nibbling on my leg. I also have caught about 5 Tetramorium sp.

#9 Offline Kingjay - Posted July 17 2016 - 8:06 PM

Kingjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,nc
Yeah I play it.Maybe while looking for Pokemon you can look for ants to.

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 17 2016 - 9:13 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I saw someone earlier today as I was walking to the market, and he walked into the light pole while using his phone. He looked confused, but then went walking another direction while still using his phone. All I can think is he was playing Pokemon GO. Dunno if he was or not, but that be something someone would do while playing that game and not paying attention to their surroundings. :P

Me, I'd rather look for ants and enjoy nature. I don't want to walk around looking at a phone, pretending I'm in virtual reality catching fake pets (that are pretty adorably drawn granted). It feel like I'm suddenly part of the Matrix. I can get the same experience going into the wilderness and catching REAL pets. It be a lot more fun too.

#11 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 18 2016 - 5:29 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

What some people don't know about the game is that you can turn on a battery saving mode and when the phone gets turned upside down when put into a pocket it just blacks out the screen but the app is still running and will vibrate to notify you of a pokemon around you. i do that when I'm anting and it works quite well.

#12 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 18 2016 - 7:18 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I love it. I play the game non-stop. And now, the GF has something to do while I'm anting. 

#13 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 18 2016 - 7:45 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I like to idea of a game that gets people active, but they should have done a little more R&D to see how safe it was going to be having millions of kids and adults walking/driving the streets staring at a screen not paying attention. I personally do enjoy a video game from time to time, but this seems a but much, people are already distracted enough with cell phones. It's leading kids into dangerous places, and I think a person has already been killed, please correct me if I'm wrong. They should have blocked of restricted areas, and dangerous places to keep people safe, and made it unusable while driving. I see a lot of trouble coming from this.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#14 Offline benjiwuf - Posted July 18 2016 - 8:31 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

ingress is the exact same type of game, actually the first popular game of this type. it's been out for years also.

#15 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 18 2016 - 8:34 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

This game is just helping with natural selection is all.

• Reacker, AntsMAN and Canadian anter like this

#16 Offline Subverted - Posted July 18 2016 - 10:22 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I like to idea of a game that gets people active, but they should have done a little more R&D to see how safe it was going to be having millions of kids and adults walking/driving the streets staring at a screen not paying attention.

Anyone who allows themselves to be so distracted by a game that they are not taking responsibility for knowing their surroundings...well...they are the problem - not the games, phones, or anything that could distract someone.

We are all responsible for our own personal safety at all times.

• LC3 and Confrere like this

#17 Offline Tpro4 - Posted July 18 2016 - 6:30 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
#teamvalor
  • XZero38 likes this
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#18 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 21 2016 - 5:43 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

#teamvalor

TEAM VALOR!