• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Possibly the biggest disaster help please.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 13 2016 - 3:38 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
So in the 1.5 years of me keeping ants this is possibly the biggest disaster that has happened to me. I don't want to bother you guys too much but I will give you a brief explanation. Somehow my family thought it would be a good idea for them to bring my formicarium down from the bookshelf(i keep it as high as possible because I have a dog who messed with my ants before) so that my 10 year old niece could watch the ants long story short, I came home to a broken formicarium and with ants going crazy It took me 2 hours to finally manage to save some workers as well as the queen, before the accident the colony had 10 workers 4-6 pupae 1 big larvae and a big clutch of eggs, all I could save was the queen 8 workers 2-3 pupae which I m not sure whether they are still good and no eggs at all. I am literally out of words and stressed out so much guys I have not felt so bad in my life , probably because it's my first ever colony. I need to know if they can survive please tell me what can I do more.

#2 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 13 2016 - 3:44 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
I want to add that the colony has been through a lot and that's why I want them to succeed I do not know if some species of ants are more durable than other but my colony is Camponotus sanctus.

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 13 2016 - 5:43 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I'm no expert, nor have i a lot of experience. But to me, this would be similar to disturbing and collecting a wild colony, only that the colony is a little more used to the nest being moved, light, ....etc.

So, i'd say to do what i do after i collect a wild colony. Water supply, and container with holes in the lid, and sit in a dark quiet area till you're ready to move them again. As for the pupae, i'd say they're prolly good. Wonder if it would help to keep them a little cooler till you're ready to move again.

#4 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 13 2016 - 5:50 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Oh thanks for the good news at the moment I don't plan to move them I have placed them in a small test tube and put away in the dark I plan to check on them in 2-3 days let them relax first anyways more input from even more experienced ant keepers would be awesome.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:01 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

So in the 1.5 years of me keeping ants this is possibly the biggest disaster that has happened to me. I don't want to bother you guys too much but I will give you a brief explanation. Somehow my family thought it would be a good idea for them to bring my formicarium down from the bookshelf(i keep it as high as possible because I have a dog who messed with my ants before) so that my 10 year old niece could watch the ants long story short, I came home to a broken formicarium and with ants going crazy It took me 2 hours to finally manage to save some workers as well as the queen, before the accident the colony had 10 workers 4-6 pupae 1 big larvae and a big clutch of eggs, all I could save was the queen 8 workers 2-3 pupae which I m not sure whether they are still good and no eggs at all. I am literally out of words and stressed out so much guys I have not felt so bad in my life , probably because it's my first ever colony. I need to know if they can survive please tell me what can I do more.

Happens to me all the time, sometimes once a week. For the most part, as long as you get the queen and them all inside a Formicarium, and feed/water them they are good. Keep them out of reach of kids and you should be good. Be glad it doesn't happen as often as it does to me, I've had one colony that has had this happen to it at least a dozen times in the last year alone.

#6 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:06 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Yea I see what you mean :/ how long do you think I should wait before feeding them dermy? Protein or honey ?

#7 Offline dermy - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:10 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yea I see what you mean :/ how long do you think I should wait before feeding them dermy? Protein or honey ?

given the small size of the colony I'd give them at least some sugary liquids and maybe a small amount of protien, but take it out after a bit before it molds, since the colony is so small you won't need to feed them everyday, I'd say around every 3(?) days.

#8 Offline CozmoDog - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:48 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

Okey thank you very much :)

#9 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 14 2016 - 4:59 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Brood boost them heavily?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline NightsWebs - Posted July 14 2016 - 10:16 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I also would entice them to move as oppose to just moving them by dumping the test tube into a new formicarium.  Ants are durable and they will do what's right for them.  I am no expert on Carpenter Ants but I am sure some heat and light will entice them to pack up and move.  just remember to be careful with heat and test tubes as it can cause the tube to flood.  I usually use a sheath over my test tubes to keep them hidden even if placed in a dark cabinet so light tends to make them want to get out of town.  I hope this helps.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#11 Offline CozmoDog - Posted August 9 2016 - 11:38 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

I see thank you all for the responses here is an update, So the colony is back inside a test tube after a year and a half of living inside an actuall nest and outworld so I hope they adapt and not have the need to forage Today I gave them honey and half a cockroach which they seem to feed on, So my question is this after a month that everything happened they still don't have any brood left do you guys think they will adapt to the situation soon and maybe have some brood and maybe a few workers before end of summer ? At the moment it's just the queen and 7 workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users