• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID 7/11/16 Caught outside of the city

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline theneuro - Posted July 11 2016 - 5:53 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

In early June, I caught many different queen ants in my driveway (where the gravel meets the grass, slightly shaded but mostly sunny). I live just outside of city limits, with a fairly large yard and a forest located nearby (I live in Arkansas). I caught them in the daytime (around 3PM) the day after a storm... it was very hot. The queens are all about 7-8 mm in length, and about 1 mm wide (the gasters are 2mm wide). The gaster is black, with the rest of the body being a very dark brown (the legs appear to be a slightly lighter brown). Although difficult to see, they are covered in hair (the thorax seems to lack hair, but it may just be very small). The petiole has 2 nodes. Right now, most of the queens have brood, with one of them having around ten workers. These workers are exceptionally small in comparison to the queen, although that may be because they are nanitics (I'm not sure how much bigger future workers will get). When alarmed, the workers seem to raise their gasters in the air. I apologize for the low quality picture. If you need any more information, feel free to ask away!

http://imgur.com/zB9SL1d

Edited by theneuro, July 11 2016 - 6:27 PM.

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:06 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Please post a picture or two, but the raised gaster rather sounds like Crematogaster.

#3 Offline theneuro - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:13 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I'm having some trouble uploading my picture. It says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sounds like Crematogaster to me too. Pretty good description.

I'm having some trouble uploading my picture. It says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".

http://www.formicult...sting-pictures/

#5 Offline theneuro - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:27 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

http://imgur.com/zB9SL1d

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think that's Solenopsis invicta.

#7 Offline theneuro - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:57 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I thought it might be Solenopsis invicta as well. Can anyone else confirm this?

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 12 2016 - 1:53 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Yeah. The native Solenopsis xyloni (next closest bet) used to span all of southern North American, but Solenopsis invicta has completely eradicated it from all but the Southwest.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users