• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius neoniger Colony & Alates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted July 8 2016 - 8:55 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

So I double-checked one of my Lasius neoniger (or at least I think that's what it is) colonies today in a test-tube setup and found a huge surprise!  This particular colony, which previously consisted of only workers, now also had young alates!  Is this normal???  None of my other colonies are doing this ... just this particular queen.  I think she's a mutant; that's my only explanation since all my colonies are kept under very similar conditions.  Here's a video showing you what I'm seeing:

• ctantkeeper likes this
~Dan

#2 Offline dermy - Posted July 8 2016 - 10:16 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Maybe it was just a few unfertilized eggs that went undetected and were allowed to grow into male alates, i don't think i see any Queen Alates in there.

But it is still very weird and I'd like to see what other peoples thoughts are.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted July 8 2016 - 11:46 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yeah I agree with dermy. Alates can be produced in captivity, usually when the colony reaches a certain size. 

It is very weird though, a colony that young producing alates is not unheard of but certainly rare.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 8 2016 - 11:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The ultimate goal of any ant colony is to reproduce.

Males are just as important a part of the reproductive process as queens, and cost fewer resources to produce.  A colony of any size may produce alates for a number of reasons.

While it is true that unfertilized eggs will go on to produce males, it is not true that a queen that produces males is always unfertilized.

There is nothing to worry about. Any reproductives are usually a sign that the ants are being fed an excellent diet and are getting everything they need from their environment.

• ctantkeeper likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 9 2016 - 5:53 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It's very likely that the unfertilized eggs were laid and raised to maturity by some sort of accident or flaw. Reproductive ants are a drain on resources which young colonies typically need to spend on more workers -- especially considering that these males are coming at least a month early for this species' nuptial season. I've had this happen before (I think with Formica?) but the colony was fine overall.

• dermy and ctantkeeper like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users