• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Buying colony's in Arizona!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Barfdog - Posted December 21 2016 - 7:02 PM

Barfdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Formiculture, I'm looking for a colony in Phoenix. Willing to drive 150+ miles to for instance Tucson. Will pay for shipping as well as long as weather conditions are acceptable. Please let me know what you have. Looking for any species from tetramorium to solenopsis. But especially camponotus. In the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, let me know, I will come to you!

#2 Offline Barfdog - Posted December 27 2016 - 4:21 PM

Barfdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Bump

#3 Offline Annexis - Posted December 27 2016 - 5:18 PM

Annexis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

If you really want some queens and or workers, you can always sign up for the GAN project and find other people within a 150 mile radius of you that have fertile queens for sale and such. 

• T.C. likes this

#4 Offline Barfdog - Posted December 27 2016 - 8:06 PM

Barfdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you really want some queens and or workers, you can always sign up for the GAN project and find other people within a 150 mile radius of you that have fertile queens for sale and such. 

There are no Gan farmers in the state of Arizona:(

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted December 28 2016 - 4:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Unfortunately I don't know of any Arizona ant keepers. So the resolution to your problem is to find your own queen and start your colony that way. Seriously,  it's not that hard. Just do some research and know what you are looking for. You would have to see what time nuptial flights occur in Arizona though before you begin looking.

Good luck.

• LC3 and Shareallicu like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Barfdog - Posted December 29 2016 - 1:33 PM

Barfdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Unfortunately I don't know of any Arizona ant keepers. So the resolution to your problem is to find your own queen and start your colony that way. Seriously,  it's not that hard. Just do some research and know what you are looking for. You would have to see what time nuptial flights occur in Arizona though before you begin looking.

Good luck.

Thanks. I know it's not that hard but if I can purchase a queen locally I would. Then I wouldn't have to wait until Nuptial flights occur a few months from now. I don't know of anyone in my state that's active on Antscanada Forums or Fomiculture.  

#7 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 11 2017 - 3:29 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

There are no Gan farmers in the state of Arizona:(

There are no Gan farmers in my state either (washington) :(

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 11 2017 - 5:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Arizona doesn't need GAN farmers. :lol:

• gcsnelling, LC3 and FSTP like this

#9 Offline Origional_Username - Posted January 28 2017 - 3:09 PM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Hi there, I am in Arizona, from what I found there are a few of us around on this forum, unsure about their activity though.

I would recommend some hiking trips. There are plenty of hiking trails and if you find some colonies take some pictures, figure out everything you can about them and then later return for nuptial flights. I found this huge area that is filled with pogonomymex last year that I will definitely be checking up on in the spring/summer time.

I was also sad there was no GAN farmers out here, if only for the convenience factor, never did find any carpenter, honey pot, or trap jaws.

Goodluck

• T.C. likes this

#10 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 28 2017 - 3:50 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Hi there, I am in Arizona, from what I found there are a few of us around on this forum, unsure about their activity though.

I would recommend some hiking trips. There are plenty of hiking trails and if you find some colonies take some pictures, figure out everything you can about them and then later return for nuptial flights. I found this huge area that is filled with pogonomymex last year that I will definitely be checking up on in the spring/summer time.

I was also sad there was no GAN farmers out here, if only for the convenience factor, never did find any carpenter, honey pot, or trap jaws.

Goodluck

Where do you think carpenter ants could be found.  I know they like moist wood, so parks and other places with fallen trees maybe?  The only research about ants I could find is how to kill them :(  I'm in washington state, but it's probably fairly common in most areas that have carpenter ants I would assume.

#11 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 29 2017 - 8:09 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Goodluck

Where do you think carpenter ants could be found.  I know they like moist wood, so parks and other places with fallen trees maybe?  The only research about ants I could find is how to kill them :(  I'm in washington state, but it's probably fairly common in most areas that have carpenter ants I would assume.

Please don't double post :(

YJK

#12 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 29 2017 - 10:58 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Goodluck

Please don't double post :(

What?  It's a different post topic!  Now I triple posted because again, a different topic :P

• Martialis likes this

#13 Offline Loops117 - Posted February 3 2017 - 8:36 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I'll be in Phoenix AZ from Feb 15th to the 22nd. Will be traveling around and seeing the grand canyon. Will be checking out local species while i'm there. Twas hoping there was a GAN farmer or two in the area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users