• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis colonies.

pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex occidentalis

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 6 2016 - 7:05 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Yesterday 7/5/16 I ended up catching what I'm 95% sure is a Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis queen.

I ended up catching her just outside where I work.
Caught 7/5/16
These next two i ended up catching this morning 7/6/16 at my dogs daycare they were out foraging. I saw their founding nests yesterday but i didn't see any walking around.
Caught 7/6/16
20160706 081855
20160706 081946

Ill be sure to update this and my other journals as more happens.

Edited by XZero38, July 6 2016 - 7:06 AM.

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 6 2016 - 8:34 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Good luck to ya if they are queens. The one I kept grabbing were just the workers...as I didn't know that I should be checking out the thorax. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 6 2016 - 9:16 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

They all have a larger thorax and wing scars. Plus I've noticed that the gaster is more rounded then the workers. 

Just found a fourth queen. Saw her roaming around testing the dirt by digging in random places.

Caught 7/6/16

I didn't have any more test tubes, but i found a small water bottle in my car so i rinsed it out and got her.

Edited by XZero38, July 6 2016 - 9:18 AM.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 6 2016 - 9:54 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Hahaha.....I don't even want to put myself out there. If I find one..like you..I'm out of containers at this point. And I feel like its too hot for me right now...But if you're in Denver finding them, I should be able to find them in the Longmont area. what's your plan to house the Pogonomyrmex? Tank setup, window pane, something else?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 6 2016 - 10:13 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Hahaha.....I don't even want to put myself out there. If I find one..like you..I'm out of containers at this point. And I feel like its too hot for me right now...But if you're in Denver finding them, I should be able to find them in the Longmont area. what's your plan to house the Pogonomyrmex? Tank setup, window pane, something else?

I havent decided on what I'm gonna do as far as tank setup goes.

#6 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 6 2016 - 10:31 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

The ones if caught so far i havent done anything other then go through my normal routine during the week. Just been keeping an eye on the ground as i go about my day.

#7 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 7 2016 - 6:45 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Quick little update.

Lost the queen that i had in the water bottle on my way home from work yesterday.

The one i have at home and the two that made it from yesterday have all been setup in tubes and i gave each of them 4-5 seeds each and they have since settled down, no more pulling at the cotton.

Good news though! I ended up finding 3 more queens this morning out front of the dog daycare. There are a bunch of founding chambers there so when i see them running around if i have any empty containers on me i try and catch them.

Caught 7/7/16
When i get home and get these 3 setup ill post pictures of all 6 Pogonomyrmex in their setups.

On a side note, the mimicus queen that i have (which i need to make another journal for) has about 4-5 eggs when i checked on her last night.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 7 2016 - 6:58 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Man.....I'm going to just watch these from a distance and pretend what if for next year. ...I say that now....but if one was on my doorstep I'd capture her. Glad you've been able to find all of the queens you were after. Now for them to poop out some eggs!

#9 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 7 2016 - 8:18 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So after doing a little bit of browsing over the past couple days, I found a great post on keeping Pogonomyrmex. http://www.formicult...-and-technique/

After reading that i remembered seeing a post by Crystals who is having to sell of a bunch of ant keeping stuff, and one thing that i remembered was the small clear boxes with the test tube setup in them.

So remembering that there is a Container Store here in denver i decided to check their site for something similar and found these http://www.container...ductId=10032168

So Crystals I'm gonna have to use your idea and put the test tube setups in these small boxes. 

This will give the queens a place to lay her eggs and a small foraging area.

#10 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:15 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So while i was getting my Pogonomyrmex queens setup with a small foraging area i checked up on the 3 from the day before and the three of them had all laid 5-6 eggs.

But as promised here are pictures of their setup. Sorry for the grainy pictures it was taken in pretty low light as i didn't really want to disturb the tetras and mimicus that was in there as well.

Pogonomyrmex setup
setup up close
After i got them all setup i put a small pile of various seeds in there and some freeze dried cricket parts so they can do their thing.
Ill have to move them when i get my test tube shipment in cause the ones they are in right now are actually from a costume but it was all i had available at the time.

Edited by XZero38, July 8 2016 - 6:17 AM.

#11 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

You make me want to go find one for a window pane set up damnit!

#12 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:21 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

You make me want to go find one for a window pane set up damnit!

Haha, well if you want after they get a few workers i can give/sell one to you?

#13 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:30 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

It's that I'm not prepared for them. I'd have to have a set up. I need to figure out where I'm going to keep the tetras. Finally moved them all into the same room/closet right now. But eventually they will have their "tank areas". Going to have to think about lighting/watering options. I wish it were as easy as buying Uncle Miltons Giant Ant Farm and dropping her in it. Could tape a heat wire to the back and just drop in water daily. Might just take one of those anyways as the formicarium leading to the outworld..... I did like antcanadas Pogonomyrmex box. Damn you ants! Stop taking my money!

#14 Offline NightsWebs - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:32 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I am currently using test tube setups but they are slightly different.  I use the water in the tube and a cork stopper that's cut out large enough for the queen to enter and exit.  I place the tube into a small container box (I bought mine from Crystal and Drew) and place a decline for the tube so the water stays against the cotton and the tube doesn't roll around.  The great thing about the box is it longer and wider than the test tube and allows you to place food and substrate for the queens.  Drew added hydrostone to the bottom in case of flooding from the test tube the ants should be able to escape with little to know harm.  Ill see about posting some pics later if you are interested.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#15 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:34 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Haha, i actually found a site that sells adult ant farms. https://www.antstore...itch_country=SK

#16 Offline NightsWebs - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:35 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Also, the purpose of the substrate allows the queen to seal the nest entrance if fully claustral and allows them to forage if semi-claustral.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

#17 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:35 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I am currently using test tube setups but they are slightly different.  I use the water in the tube and a cork stopper that's cut out large enough for the queen to enter and exit.  I place the tube into a small container box (I bought mine from Crystal and Drew) and place a decline for the tube so the water stays against the cotton and the tube doesn't roll around.  The great thing about the box is it longer and wider than the test tube and allows you to place food and substrate for the queens.  Drew added hydrostone to the bottom in case of flooding from the test tube the ants should be able to escape with little to know harm.  Ill see about posting some pics later if you are interested.

Of course! Its always nice to see what others are doing with their setups.

#18 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:56 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Damn....I really like some of that clean lookin' glass action. Might have to search around on that site now..

#19 Offline NightsWebs - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:34 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

You might want to check out Ants Canada, THA (Tar Heel Ants in NC USA), BiFormica and if you are looking for something  specific ask Drew he has lots of formicaries from founding through mature colonies.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

#20 Offline NightsWebs - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:40 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Those don't look like they have any thought for hydration or feeding besides through the top might as well be uncle Milton's.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users