• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small Ant ID Request

Best Answer Batspiderfish , July 3 2016 - 10:06 AM

Looks to be one of the east coast's summer fliers, Lasius alienus. :)

Wait, sorry. Looking back over some of the details.

Brachymyrmex sp., likely Brachymyrmex patagonicus. Jumped the gun on that one.

If you are capturing queens from a mature colony, be sure to grab some workers too. Foundress queens have stored nutrition (including their wing muscles) that are used up to start a colony. After the queen and the colony further mature, the queen often changes to produce more eggs. Starting from scratch again would be a challenge.

Also, FYI, the scientific standard, millimeters, is used for identification.  ;)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline aqandres4 - Posted July 2 2016 - 6:38 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Florida
This ant queen is Brachymyrmex sp./ It's possibly Brachymyrmex patagonicus.

Title:
1. Hialeah, Florida, U.S.A.. (ie: city/town, state/province, country).
2. Today's date: 7/2/2016 (this lets people know whether it's a new thread or an old one that has just been updated or resurrected).

Body:
1. Under dirt that is under small plants that I could easily take apart.
2. Date of collection: 7/2/2016
3. Habitat of collection A small grassy area.
4. It's not really big. It's like 1/8 - 1/6 of an inch. They're really small.
5. It's mostly brown, its gaster is also brown and it has yellow lines on it.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: It's super small and it's polygynous (since I found it with many other similar looking queens.
7. Nest description: It had many similar queen ants (I'm pretty sure it was the same one, I just don't know much about ants so I can't say if it was for sure), it was found under dirt less than an inch down. The plants were connected to the dirt so when I pulled the plants the dirt was also taken off and I saw a lot of queen ants.

Here are a few pictures (just go to the links):

725e7f4bf5733d1a36f1baba816ba8c1

bc739c7471c7822a5bd1b44404c66a65

I'm sorry for not having any pictures here to show you all, they might not help.

Thank you if you tried to help!

Edited by aqandres4, July 21 2016 - 6:48 PM.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted July 2 2016 - 6:59 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Pictures would be really helpful to properly ID your ant. Otherwise we're all just making blank guesses. 

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 2 2016 - 7:24 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Pictures are going to be a necessity. :)

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 2 2016 - 7:25 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline aqandres4 - Posted July 3 2016 - 9:13 AM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Pictures are going to be a necessity. :)

There are now pictures in the thread. Thank you.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 3 2016 - 10:06 AM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If you are capturing queens from a mature colony, be sure to grab some workers too. Foundress queens have stored nutrition (including their wing muscles) that are used up to start a colony. After the queen and the colony further mature, the queen often changes to produce more eggs. Starting from scratch again would be a challenge.

Also, FYI, the scientific standard, millimeters, is used for identification.  ;)

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 3 2016 - 10:24 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline aqandres4 - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:32 AM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks! (I don't have anything that measures millimeters, sorry about that.) <--- I'll see if I can get something that measures millimeters.

Edited by aqandres4, July 8 2016 - 9:07 PM.

#7 Offline aqandres4 - Posted July 9 2016 - 12:16 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Oh, I wasn't capturing queens from mature colonies. They recently just moved in there during the nuptial flight and made it as their founding chamber and they were all together. That was a pretty smart move for them to do.

I just checked them today, one has eggs while the other I don't know if she has eggs but most likely because she's inside the cotton because I made a little hole when I pushed it down to block the water.

#8 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 19 2016 - 8:36 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

aquandres4, It's hard to see the details in the photos you added to this post, but check out my ID request and see if your queens and workers (when they eclose) look like this: http://www.formicult...tx-may-21-2016/

#9 Offline aqandres4 - Posted July 21 2016 - 6:43 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

aquandres4, It's hard to see the details in the photos you added to this post, but check out my ID request and see if your queens and workers (when they eclose) look like this: http://www.formicult...tx-may-21-2016/

Alright, thank you. I did read your post in my phone. I just didn't remember to reply to you. I'm sorry.

#10 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 22 2016 - 7:22 AM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
No worries - no expectation of a reply! Just trying to help out :) I remember looking at your photos after you first posted them and thinking mine looked similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users