• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Austin, TX. May 21, 2016

austin tiny ants

Best Answer Batspiderfish , July 8 2016 - 3:23 AM

Brachymyrmex patagonicus is definitely the darkest Brachymyrmex species where you are.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bryansant - Posted May 22 2016 - 10:06 AM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

1. Location of collection: On my 2nd floor balcony in north Austin.
2. Date of collection: 5/21/16
3. Habitat of collection: In one of my clay plant pots which currently houses a cactus and a succulent. I've noticed this colony, from time to time, when watering my plants or moving pots and yesterday I decided to take a look. The colony had tunnels throughout the growth medium but I believe I found the queen in the sandy bottom layers (sorry, no photos of the supposed queen - she hid very quickly). If it was the queen, she looked very similar to the one in the recent post titled "is this a Forelius pruinosus quuen??" -maybe a bit more round and about 4-5 mm. EDIT: more like 3-4 mm
4. Length (from head to gaster): workers are about 2 mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Sorry, they're so tiny it's hard to give specifics. I don't have a magnifying lens and the photos are as good as my naked eye. They are dark brown or black and the queen was more of a reddish, light brown.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Super small?? There are alates in the colony (also hid before photos) and what I'm guessing are the male alates were half the size of the females and more of a yellow hue.
7. Anything else distinctive: Not really. Noticed they didn't touch the sunflower seed bits I placed near their hill but surrounded the crystallized honey.
8. Nest description: See above.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Bryansant, July 7 2016 - 6:16 PM.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted May 22 2016 - 11:10 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

They look like Tapinoma sessile to me.

Edit: Actually, based on the size and looking at your photos again, these may be Brachymyrmex sp.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 22 2016 - 2:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They look like Tapinoma sessile to me.

Edit: Actually, based on the size and looking at your photos again, these may be Brachymyrmex sp.

That's what it looks like to me.

#4 Offline Bryansant - Posted May 22 2016 - 3:01 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Thank you both for the help! When I relocate the colony I'll try to take additional photos. My new, small, seemingly inexpensive hobby suddenly needs a large DSLR cash infusion not to mention formicaria supplies..

#5 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 7 2016 - 5:37 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Moved the colony and have new photos:

Female and male alates:

Cluster, profile of worker
Male and female alate
Male alate, body shot
Female alate, body shot
Sadly, this one got injured in the move and almost gone here.
Female alate, head shot
Female alate, head shot
Female alate, profile
Female alate, side view

Supposed queen (dark background, I know):

Supposed queen

Worker:

Worker

My guess is B. patagonicus. Can anyone confirm?

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 8 2016 - 3:23 AM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Brachymyrmex patagonicus is definitely the darkest Brachymyrmex species where you are.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 8 2016 - 6:09 AM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Thank you for the info!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: austin, tiny ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users