• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium sp. E. (pavement ants)

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 12 2016 - 6:13 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

when they make their founding chambers they usually arent that big, so I'm trying to simulate that with the test tube.

#22 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 12 2016 - 6:20 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'll reduce the "queen who isn't doing anything in the tubes" space by pushing the cotton ball in. Press the wall on her to lay some eggs!!! 

Though honestly I probably have enough laying right now that I could release the one "dud" and be perfectly fine. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#23 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted July 12 2016 - 1:10 PM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

If you want to..you could make a large plaster nest that works well for some my colonies.

#24 Offline Kevin - Posted July 12 2016 - 2:50 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I'm designing multiple formicariums that will be cheaper that the AC formicarium, PM me for information or look at the recent threads for something about 3D printing by me.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#25 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 12 2016 - 4:29 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Decided to check up on my queens when i got home, they all have quite a large pile of brood.

Queen #3 actually has a couple pupae! I only counted 2 but the magnifying lens i have isn't the greatest.

I really need to invest in a macro lens for my DSLR.

#26 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 22 2016 - 10:14 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO
Decided to check on my queens that have been kept in the dark, and what do you know Queen #3 has her first worker!
Just to the left of her that little brown line is her worker.
It looks like a couple more are about to eclose any time now so I'm expecting another couple workers in a day or so.

Queen #3 first worker

#27 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 23 2016 - 6:30 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Checked on #3 this morning and she now has 4 workers and a 5th one that's not able to walk yet but i can see the antenna moving, its also very light.

Its crazy how small they are even for tetramorium!

Edited by XZero38, July 23 2016 - 6:32 AM.

#28 Offline Roachant - Posted July 23 2016 - 5:55 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
The next ones will be quite larger, don't worry.

#29 Offline Saftron - Posted July 23 2016 - 6:02 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California
How long did you have queen 3??? I caught a Tetramorium queen on July 6th and it took 2 weeks and 2 days for her 1st batch of eggs to become Larvae (They actually became Larvae last night) Question #2: How long would it take for the larvae to pupate and hatch??

#30 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 24 2016 - 9:26 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

How long did you have queen 3??? I caught a Tetramorium queen on July 6th and it took 2 weeks and 2 days for her 1st batch of eggs to become Larvae (They actually became Larvae last night) Question #2: How long would it take for the larvae to pupate and hatch??

To go form egg to worker took 3-4 weeks

#31 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 24 2016 - 9:29 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

so i caught #3 6/21/16 and her first worker eclosed yesterday 7/23/16 so yeah, 3-4 weeks

#32 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 25 2016 - 5:08 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Congrats! Get your antcanada set up yet? Da hell is your plan with all of them anyways? Just brood boostin' and dumping the queen in the neighbors yard? I'm pretty sure (V) and (Z) were from the first captures - though compared to this one I have from later...her pile is getting huge. Its like an M&M in size of eggs compared to..probably a quarter sized that. She is the only one to have this super clutch of eggs. Wonder if its due to the moisture content in her container? It does appear quite most in there. 

Awww damnit I caught mine 6/20! Where's my worker!? Maybe in there...meh..... 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#33 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 25 2016 - 5:23 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Congrats! Get your antcanada set up yet? Da hell is your plan with all of them anyways? Just brood boostin' and dumping the queen in the neighbors yard? I'm pretty sure (V) and (Z) were from the first captures - though compared to this one I have from later...her pile is getting huge. Its like an M&M in size of eggs compared to..probably a quarter sized that. She is the only one to have this super clutch of eggs. Wonder if its due to the moisture content in her container? It does appear quite most in there. 

Awww damnit I caught mine 6/20! Where's my worker!? Maybe in there...meh..... 

Ill probably end up just brood boosting with the rest of the eggs from the other queens. I did actually get my antscanada setup finally, i probably won't put them in it till there are quite a bit more workers it would be a large area for only 7 ants right now.

When i checked this morning it looked like she had 6-7 workers they were all sleeping on the pile of brood so i could really get a count as it just looked like a black/brown/white pile

Edited by XZero38, July 25 2016 - 8:15 AM.

#34 Offline Saftron - Posted July 25 2016 - 8:19 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Xzero, have you had this problem (atleast I think it is) So my tetramorium queen seemed to have layed some more eggs but it looks like she's feeding them to her huge batch of larvae!? Is this normal, because I'm a little worried. Thanks!

#35 Offline Saftron - Posted July 25 2016 - 8:20 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

She has about a pile of 11-13 Larvae and she layed a small batch of eggs (I'd say about 4-6 eggs) and then I notice her placing in on top of all the Larvae. Next day I notice all the eggs are gone but 1.

#36 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 25 2016 - 8:23 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

i havent seen any of mine do that yet. i only have 4 queens but their piles just keep getting bigger.

how often are you checking on them?

#37 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 25 2016 - 10:19 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I think the key to this is "how often" you're checking. I'm basing this off the 10+ tetras I currently have. My personal test has been Zero monitors his every few days. I have done mine every other day (typically). His have eclosed already while mine are still doing their thing. I haven't actually watched them do a process or anything or eating eggs - just can note their egg piles and movement. They have changed a little over time - some getting bigger, some turning brown in color, while others have simply jaw'd their small pile of eggs from one side to the other. You might have identified why some of mine aren't clearly as big as some others.  

I view it like this - there's a clock that needs to get to 10 with a day adding a tally. Every time you look in on them it goes back 2. Have to find the happy medium to let them get established. 

#38 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 1 2016 - 7:34 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So yesterday i decided to do a consolidation/purge i took the brood from queens #1, #2, and #4 and give them all to #3.

They took the brood into their pile rather quickly so now #3 has a pretty large pile of brood and roughly 15 workers, they even accepted a newly eclosed niantic from another queen!

I ended up freezing the other queens and their workers so now #3 is the only queen ill have from this point forward at least for my tetras anyways.

#3 and her growing colony has been set up in a Antscanada test tube portal till the colony is large enough to be moved into the outworld and formicarium.

Edited by XZero38, August 1 2016 - 7:35 AM.

#39 Offline Saftron - Posted August 4 2016 - 10:45 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I expect and hope that my queen will have her 1st workers next Wednesday which will mark my 35 days of having her :)

#40 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 5 2016 - 5:25 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

101 one day, next day was 70. Colorado can't make up its mind with the weather that I'm still very leery to move mine into the garage...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users