• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello all.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdesl - Posted May 9 2014 - 1:21 PM

jdesl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm a southern Californian studying the ants of the region. I have 4 ongoing projects.

1. Ant community responses to fire...a 12 year study of the ant community in San Antonio Canyon (Mt Baldy) in response to the Gran Prix fire of 2003. Some interesting patterns are emerging after such a long run.

2. The Ant Fauna of the Mojave National Preserve. Published in 2011. I continue to monitor the region.

3. A systematic sampling of the San Gabriel Mtns. The goal is to assemble a thorough annotated checklist. 98 species so far.

4. The ants of the Chuckwalla Mtns. Same goal as #3 but progress is pretty slow. The area is inconveniently far away from home.

I'd be delighted to share lists, location data and whatever other information might be interesting. - JDESL

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 9 2014 - 1:32 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That sounds awesome. I am in those areas all the time. I've been keeping track of everything I find in Southern California on this Google map (https://maps.google....262602,0.609741). The more I am learning how to ID ants correctly using a microscope and keys, the more I'm realizing I may have found more species than I have listed here due to so many of them looking so much alike (a little too much assuming), but this is only true for the earlier stuff.

I would love to see your findings.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted May 9 2014 - 1:33 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Sounds neat.

Welcome.

Do you have any ant colonies of your own?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Bigb - Posted May 9 2014 - 1:35 PM

Bigb

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLa Mirada, CA

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find the forum usefull to your research.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users