• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ytong Formicarium Tips?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 9 2014 - 3:39 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

So I left this way to late and really need to start cracking on the Ytong formicarium I was suppose to have made last year. Go figure. xD Procrastination, woohoo!

Any tips to keep in mind before I start hand chipping away?

Example:

Upright vs vertical, which would be better?

Size of reservoir, etc.

Tools.

Positioning of tunnels.

#2 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted May 9 2014 - 3:46 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

I just made my first Ytong nest too. I sketched the design on the block then used a drill to make starter holes throught the design - then used a hand held jigsaw to form the tunnels (connecting the holes).

I intend mine to be displayed at an angle. You can see in the pic I have a resevoir at the top- and a thin slanted one to one side. One thing about Ytong I noticed is you really don't need much of a resevoir- since the material quickly soaks in the water and spreads it. Just a few well placed small holes to put water in with a syringe works well.

Ytong

• thosaka likes this

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#3 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted May 9 2014 - 3:47 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

The chambers toward the middle have hidden tunnels that connect them.

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#4 Offline bbulkows - Posted May 9 2014 - 4:22 AM

bbulkows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I used the glass as an outline for my sketch. Then used a pencil to copy the sketch to the Ytong and went to town from there. I used a Dremel with a 1/8" Tungsten Carbide Tile Cutting Bit and it makes quick work of the Ytong; cuts like butter! After you get the rough outline, you can take your time and get as much detail as you'd like! It really was a labor of love, and I know you're a creative person as well so I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

As far as using hand tools, I think that would be rough! I have heard some people use a router tool. 

I prefer verticle, just because the majority of genuses naturally dig down, but I suppose it's all preference.

The museum glass was a free sample from http://www.ppg.com/c...es/default.aspx

Here's what I posted with it on the Yuku forums:

I dyed the ytong using tea, and here's the result! Have some museum glass on it with a slit silicone streak between the glass and ytong for security. Used Neodymium Magnets 1/4 x 1/16 inch on the ytong and glass, but a larger magnet (stronger) with magnet on ytong and outside of the glass would probably be better. The middle area with lighter colored ytong is hiding the hydration tube.

m9xgXVtl.jpg

FBLyQXRl.jpg

B4bveMZ.jpg

eJ1YQxD.jpg

Edited by bbulkows, May 9 2014 - 4:28 AM.

• thosaka likes this

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted May 9 2014 - 6:02 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

As bbulkows said, a dremel is one of the best carving tools.  The average bit set has at least 1-3 engraving bits.  Choose the flattest and smoothest side for your carving.

I use a pen or felt to draw the tunnels and chambers and then take my dremel to it.

Hint: wetting the brick will eliminate lots of dust and doing it outside is even better.  Wear safety glasses, if the tiniest bits get into your eyes you will probably be making a trip to the ER to get it removed.

I prefer my nests to lie flat or at an 15-30 degree angle.  Watching the ants try to move brood in vertical nests makes me feel sorry for them.

For the reservoir, ytong absorbs pretty fast.  You will only need a small tunnel, 1/2cm wide and 2-3cm long is overkill.  Make the watering tunnel on top as the water moves down pretty fast.  Make it easy to water without moving the nest.

I advise two entrances.  One can be plugged, but comes in handy when the ants outgrow their formicarium and need to move to another nest.

Other than that, it is pretty similar to using firebrick.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 9 2014 - 10:00 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

So I don't have a dremel and have been using a drill with a bit and omg pain in the behind. It's so big and bulky that it's hard for me to get the shape I want. Guess it doesn't have to be pretty.

Thanks for the tip with the water. When I started the dust was so annoying.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted May 9 2014 - 12:48 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

If you drill 2 holes side by side, you can use a pair of pliers to break the stuff between.  Also can help in smoothing edges.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 10 2014 - 9:18 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I tried doing that for a while. And then I found a chisel tool, which was MUCH easier. Got it done so much faster and a lot more control. And after I finished my dad found the dremel tool -.- Go figure. Only problem is I chipped off more then I planned too by accident and had to expand a lot of the rooms because of that. Oh well, it still looks fine. I soaked it and waiting for it to dry now.

The PVC tubing I'm using is outer diameter 3/8 and inner 1/4. Do you think that's gonna be big enough for F. subsericea?

Also, is silicone the binding of choice for everyone? Any other alternatives that look nicer? I notice the silicone looks ugly on the front end of the glass. Do you think I can get away with just using it around the edges instead of on the front end of the ytong to stick to the glass?

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 10 2014 - 10:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Silicone is your best choice for bonding to glass. Plastic, not so much.

#10 Offline Tyrrea - Posted May 11 2014 - 4:44 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

won't the ants chew their way through ytong??

#11 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 11 2014 - 5:46 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

No one I know has had a problem with that. xD I'm scared of the type of ants that can chew through Ytong. O:

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted May 11 2014 - 6:13 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Some species can, but it is an Extremely slow process and usually only happens when the nest is over 90% full.

My Colonies

#13 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 11 2014 - 3:03 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

PhotoMay1155909PM.jpg

Tada. You can see I made a lot of chiseling mistakes but all in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Watering hole is at the top and it will stand upright.

#14 Offline LAnt - Posted May 11 2014 - 5:07 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Where did you get the ytong from?

#15 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 12 2014 - 10:08 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
I ordered it for TarHeelAnts since I haven't found anywhere in Canada for purchase. It is a little pricey though, just a warning.

#16 Offline yomchi86 - Posted July 2 2015 - 12:44 PM

yomchi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Some species can, but it is an Extremely slow process and usually only happens when the nest is over 90% full.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread - my Messor Barbarus colony currently reside in a y-tong nest. This last week they have decided to chew through the y-tong. Currently they have got through around 0.7 cm in a week. Slow going I suppose but they are definitely making progress - the nest is currently 15% full. They obviously don't like something!!! Any ideas anyone?

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 2 2015 - 1:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Stop using Ytong is my only suggestion. I stopped using it because I had Veromessor and Pogonomyrmex both chew through it.

#18 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 2 2015 - 1:17 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

You can make them a grout nest. I don't think they can chew through it.

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 2 2015 - 1:17 PM.

• cpman likes this

#19 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 2 2015 - 2:21 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Or you can purchase a nest from antscanada.com or byformica.com, or any stores where you live that don't use ytong nests. I believe Tarheelants does...

Edited by Ants4fun, July 2 2015 - 2:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users