• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Maine <3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 3 2016 - 7:02 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I am a seasoned ant enthusiast looking to get back into the hobby. I have a fair amount of experience with social parasites, particularly Lasius and Formica. This year, I hope to successfully establish colonies from the Acanthomyops group of Lasius or further members of Chthonolasius. If I am lucky enough to find Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, that would also be fabulous.

I am an amateur photographer, and like to take pictures and occasionally shoot video of my ants. I am in the process of designing hydrostone formicaria that will allow backlighting. I do maybe need to get better at editing videos, though. :thinking:

Here's my youtube channel: https://www.youtube....lf_id=0&sort=dd

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted June 3 2016 - 1:10 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your knowledge of social parasites would be certainly appreciated.  :D

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 4:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :) It's funny I remember reading so many of your posts over on the Yuku forum, but I think you weren't even posting anymore by the time I got into this hobby.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 4 2016 - 9:42 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
Some combination of depression and secondary education tore me away from the hobby for a bit. I'm glad to be back at it. This forum is pretty active and seems to be well-handled!

I actually still have two colonies from the yuku days -- Lasius alienus and Tapinoma sessile. I was not taking adequate care of them and they have not been thriving, something I am ashamed of and very much regret, but now I am hopefully making it up to them with interest.
  • dspdrew likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 4 2016 - 3:54 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

I remember you! Welcome :)

• Batspiderfish likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic