• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping non-native ants

what to do

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 2 2016 - 12:20 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

This didn't happen to me, but my mother in-law received a fruity package with a complete colony in the mail. The package was supposed to be sealed and for human consumption, but it wasnt. She killed all the ants with raid and disposed of the package, which is the responsible thing to do. I'm assuming there was a queen in there...or let's assume rather. The package came from a totally different location (idk were), all the way to florida.

Now, would you guys have kept them? Is it illegal to keep them alive? I cringed when i heard she RAIDed the package but knew it was necessary considering her remote location. 

#2 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 2 2016 - 12:50 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Depends what they were. I'd have at least kept them in captivity until an ID could be made. After that though I don't believe it's particularly illegal to keep them. They weren't the item you intended to import and customs or whoever you bought it from should have sprayed or quarantined the thing. Most newly introduced species do not establish for very long, (and even less so from one colony though some ants do reproduce by inbreeding and colony division). The more times it happens though the more likely it is to be successful though.

That being said, most species that are getting imported are refereed to as "tramp" species, which are generally notorious for being able to nest and survive in shipping containers, imported soil, or are opportunistic. A friend of mine (from New York, I think) recently found a new queen to some type of tropical Ponerinae nestled in a Dragon Fruit at a super market.

These things happen. Be responsible when you can. But I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to release them.

#3 Offline antsinmypants - Posted June 2 2016 - 1:43 PM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Fruity packages from out-of state? Do you have a web address for it? Dragon fruit at a supermarket? I guess I should check out the fresh produce at the local Asian market...... ;)

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 2 2016 - 6:39 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

She's a park ranger on Bahia Honda. It's an absolute must to make sure that species doesn't find it's way on to the island. As for the species its self, i really wish she would have taken pics.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 3 2016 - 1:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You'd have to check the laws in your state. Here in CA, it's effectively illegal to keep Solenopsis invicta. It's illegal to transport them at all, which includes even picking them up.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 3 2016 - 2:31 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You'd have to check the laws in your state. Here in CA, it's effectively illegal to keep Solenopsis invicta. It's illegal to transport them at all, which includes even picking them up.

Only within designated areas inside of California.  It is not a state-wide ban.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 3 2016 - 7:44 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I'm guessing bringing home some Queens from my many travels would be frowned upon?  I travel a good amount during the summer months.  Mostly up the eastern coast. Jersey, Maryland, Carolina's and Florida most likely this year.  

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 3 2016 - 8:12 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I'm guessing bringing home some Queens from my many travels would be frowned upon?  I travel a good amount during the summer months.  Mostly up the eastern coast. Jersey, Maryland, Carolina's and Florida most likely this year.  

Oh yeah. Pretty sure it's a federal felony if you knowingly transfer queens across state lines.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 3 2016 - 8:14 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Frowned upon and illegal. :/

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 3 2016 - 1:11 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm guessing bringing home some Queens from my many travels would be frowned upon?

Unless you publicly told others the origin of the ants, such as in a forum post, the only person who would know where they came from is yourself.

That said, it remains my opinion that the antkeeping community, and even some scientists, bear striking parallels to the abstinence-only nutjobs who share at least some responsibility for so many STD-ridden schools in the US, along with the highest teen pregnancy rate among developed countries.  As long as there are ants and people in abundance on this planet, people (especially curious children) will always seek ants, buy and sell ants, and move ants from one place to another, both purposefully, and accidentally. The best deterrent to potential bio-economic hazards isn't abstinence, but rather excellent containment and responsible antkeeping practices—i.e. information, knowledge, and faithful execution.

It is worth noting that all known invasive ants were first transported and distributed through regular agricultural and other incidental trade, with not a single documented case that hobbyists contributed to these problems whatsoever.  Therefore, the risk that hobbyists pose through keeping non-native ants is almost entirely hypothetical, as we all know the almost certain outcome of almost all ants kept in captivity—dead ants.

This mismatch in focus underscores why I intend to produce a video explaining the laws, the science against ant transport, and what to do if you have non-native ants in your possession, for my upcoming YouTube channel.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 3 2016 - 3:40 PM.

• Mads likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 3 2016 - 5:38 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Yeah I knew the answer. Haha. I respect it even though I wouldn't ever let them go I couldn't be sure they wouldn't espace somehow. My biggest problem is I travel 90% of weekends during summer months. So I'm worried I will miss out on flights at home. I don't always travel out of state though just out of the city a lot so that's still fair game.

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 4:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That said, it remains my opinion that the antkeeping community, and even some scientists, bear striking parallels to the abstinence-only nutjobs who share at least some responsibility for so many STD-ridden schools in the US, along with the highest teen pregnancy rate among developed countries.

:lol:  That's a good point.

...as we all know the almost certain outcome of almost all ants kept in captivity—dead ants.

:lol: Very true.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: what to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users