• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New to Formiculture! Dusty here

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DustyDoes - Posted May 31 2016 - 9:48 AM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

Hi everybody,

My name's Dusty. Although I've always been fascinated by the social structure and efficiency of ant colonies, I had never really considered the idea of caring for and raising an entire colony from a new queen on my own until I started reading the Formiculture forums and watching all the awesome progress videos on YouTube by CalifornianAnts, AntsCanada, Antimidation, Andrew Smith, and others. I've started carrying a couple of test tubes with me just in case I happen to find a queen while I'm out and about. The only ant I've caught so far was identified as an invasive fire ant, so I got rid of it and started researching nuptial flights of other species that I'd like to try raising.

One of my goals for this summer will be to try to capture one of the native species on Catalina Island in order to create a formicarium for the educational program of a camp on the island. There are a few species that are notable on the island, though any of the native ones would be fantastic. Even better would be the capture of multiple species such as a Camponotus clarithorax,  Pheidole clementensis, and the Solenopsis texana catalinae species that is believed to endemic to Catalina, so that visitors can see the comparison between all the species.

Can't wait to get started with my first queens, hoping to go on some Anting expeditions with other SoCal folks when the timing works out, and I'm looking forward to starting my own journals and formicarium construction threads when I'm able to :-D

See you around,

~Dusty

• drtrmiller likes this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 31 2016 - 10:27 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

A model introductory post.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline NightsWebs - Posted May 31 2016 - 12:06 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Welcome to formiculture Andrew Smith is none other then the owner/maintainer of this forum and is very knowledgeable.  I hope to see you out on the SOCal anting missions!

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2016 - 7:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome to the forum. :D

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted June 1 2016 - 11:17 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!  :D

You may find this link interesting - http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline DustyDoes - Posted June 1 2016 - 6:25 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA
Drtrmiller, NightsWebs, dspdrew, Crystals, thank you for the kind welcome.

Crystals, I've seen a lot of your tutorials on YouTube and have been chomping at the bit to start fabrication. My only hesitation is from lack of ants :-P I figure I'll do well enough with my few test tubes for now, and once I have a queen or two, will build to suit the species. Soooo many options with the firebrick picture frames, stackable plastic containers, and 3d printed formicariums! Ahhh! LoL

I look forward to having something useful (or at least interesting) to contribute once I get something going :-)

Edited by DustyDoes, June 2 2016 - 12:59 AM.

• Okeedoke22 likes this

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 5 2016 - 12:38 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

CalifornianAnts

Hey... That's me! :D

Welcome to the forum! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic