• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

PLEASE HELP ID THIS QUEEN ANT (ASAP PLEASE)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline aqandres4 - Posted May 25 2016 - 6:06 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Florida

The following below is from another thread of mine that I copied and pasted here to save time...

Thanks for helping!

Note: I'm sorry for anything I did wrong, I'm a beginner in ant keeping and, of course, feel free to criticize me for improvement. I will also constantly be updating this forum and possibly the other one (go all the way down this topic to see the link below or just go to "Keeping Ants" if you want to have a look at it for yourself).

1. This queen was collected in Hialeah, Florida, USA. There's obviously nothing that have to do with mountains here, it's pretty flat from the area where I got her.

2. I found her on the edge of a sidewalk about half a block from where I live between a lawn and the street. On that sidewalk, there was an area that had some dirt which was the location that I encountered a group of queens. I caught the queen near other queens (there were about five others, definitely more farther away because I kept on encountering more queens but from other nearby places).

3. Her gaster is pretty big and it's kind of black and brown (see the picture). There are also lines on the gaster which look like kind of yellow or like a caramel color. The rest of the body is like a mix of brown and black (look closely at the second picture).

4. Her legs, if you notice are black but at the end of them, they have a color that looks caramel. The antennae's are also pretty big and they're shaped like an "L". She also has a brown head with black eyes.

Note: I don't know how to turn the pictures in the links into images, so I apologize for that.

Here are two pictures of my queen (copy and paste the link on the URL or just click on the link if it takes you there):

This is the first one, which I took on the day I got her, which was yesterday (5/5/2016).

https://gyazo.com/8a...522d10275c331b0

This is the second picture (much more detailed), which was taken the day after I caught this queen ant (5/6/2016).

https://gyazo.com/c0...90924dbc6cbf78e

This is the third picture (you can kind of see her head better).

https://gyazo.com/63...8c3e2b2d9794666

This is the fourth picture (you can see more of her abdomen and you can also see the legs better):

https://gyazo.com/55...44cac8f35e5fc87

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning, when I would take her out of the closet, she would start going to the cotton that blocked the opening of the test tube and she was biting it. She doesn't really have that behavior now (I'm trying to be more gentle).

Also, I've been observing my ant queen and she's been digging up on the cotton that is blocking the water for a while now and it looks like she made a small hole... <----- That was on the first test tube setup (You'll understand if you keep reading or go down).

If you need any pictures or something else in order to verify the genus and/ or species of the ant, or something else that's important, feel free to ask.

Also, I'm open to any helpful advice on improving.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it because I don't know how I should take care of my ant queen because I don't know how to identify the genus nor the species of an ant.

P.S. : If you want to know more about my queen ant, go click one or two of the links below:

http://antfarm.yuku....en#.Vy5R0fkrKM8

http://antfarm.yuku....62#.Vy5SCvkrKM8

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2016 - 6:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think that's Solenopsis invicta.

#3 Offline aqandres4 - Posted May 25 2016 - 6:44 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

What about Pheidole megacephala?

It might be Solenopsis invicta but you have to admit that they both look a lot alike...

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2016 - 6:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They look similar in some ways, but to me Pheidole and Solenopsis look quite different. It's not Pheidole megacephala.

#5 Offline aqandres4 - Posted May 26 2016 - 4:22 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I think that's Solenopsis invicta.

Thanks for helping me!

#6 Offline Air - Posted June 5 2016 - 11:38 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Yes, this is for sure a Solenopsis invicta queen. If you caught more, you can actually put the queens together. Remember, these are fire ants, so handle them with extreme caution. Happy ant hunting!

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 6 2016 - 7:22 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
Of course, Solenopsis invicta colonies grow so huge, so fast, that having more than one queen would probably be a burden.
  • LC3 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Leo - Posted June 6 2016 - 5:08 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

True there is a Solenopsis invicta colony on the road parallel to my house. It is pretty big.

#9 Offline aqandres4 - Posted June 18 2016 - 3:02 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Yeah, I've seen about a 15 of these queens in a small radius.

Thanks!

#10 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted June 18 2016 - 7:59 PM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

So abundant yet every queen I've caught has been infertile.

#11 Offline aqandres4 - Posted June 22 2016 - 6:37 PM

aqandres4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Sorry to hear that! My advice would be to find a place where there's a lot of mating activity during any nuptial flights. I believe that can increase your chances of finding a fertile queen. Try going to an area that has a lot of ants when there are nuptial flights.

Where are there are ants, queens aren't very far behind. I hope this helped!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users