• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Building formicarium from scratch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Serova - Posted May 24 2016 - 8:20 AM

Serova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to build a formicarium that looks as natural as possible.

I just bought a 60x30x30 aquarium online.

I had a small question regarding how to form the ants nest.

My idea was too get a wood log cut it in half and carve out some tunnels, next I would place an acrylic glass cover on it so I can see through and it's easy to remove the nest without the ants escaping.

Do you guys recommend a wood log as a nest or will it decay by time or will the ants bite through?

My plan is to keep something along the lines of Myrmica Ruba would it be a good environment for them?

209m32d.jpg

Example of a log but will be placed laying down with acrylic glass attached to it:

IMG_4889.jpg

• AntTeen804 and Roachant like this

#2 Offline Typo--29 - Posted May 24 2016 - 1:48 PM

Typo--29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I haven't been doing this for long but from what I've read it would be difficult to maintain the humidity levels in the nest and depending on the ant they could just chew through it

#3 Online dspdrew - Posted May 24 2016 - 5:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Given enough time, and/or enough ant power (worker numbers), they can get through a LOT of things, wood being one of them.

#4 Offline Serova - Posted May 24 2016 - 9:36 PM

Serova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright what would you guys suggest for the nest instead of the wood? Must be something I can do myself and perhaps order online?

#5 Offline Typo--29 - Posted May 24 2016 - 10:38 PM

Typo--29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've had semi good luck with Plaster and I've heard good things about grout and another member on here has a how to guide for grout that I'm going to use to make my next one

http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

Edited by Typo--29, May 24 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#6 Online dspdrew - Posted May 24 2016 - 11:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Plaster they can chew through, but it would take most ants so long, that it's fine for most people as far as that's concerned. Grout I think is pretty much the same. If you have these materials wet most of the time, they will be even softer, and the ants can chew through them faster. I have had harvester ants chew right through hydrostone and AAC or "Ytong" that was wet all the time. Those are both very similar to plaster and grout.

Materials I would consider unable to be chewed through by most any colony of ants during its lifespan would be cement, ceramics, hard metals, and hard plastics. Obviously metal is typically not going to work for the primary material of an ant nest, but as for cement, ceramics and hard plastics, those are the only three materials I will ever make any of my nests out of at this point, unless of course I want them to be able to chew through the material.

#7 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 25 2016 - 9:23 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
If your outworld is escape proof and the log is actually in it, then I wouldn't worry about them chewing throughout the log unless you just don't like the idea of them ruining what you carve into it or them tunneling beyond your view. I think it's a cool idea personally.

I've been wanting to do something similar, you'll need to find a way to address hydration though. Maybe some reservoirs drimmeled into the top side that you can add to.

#8 Offline Serova - Posted May 25 2016 - 10:30 AM

Serova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Exactly what I was thinking as well. The nest will be held in an escape proof basin. I will carve tunnels and keep the log thick enough so I can drill some holes behind it to add water to it. I don't think they will ruin their nest by chewing everything surrounding it. I keep this thread updated with a few pictures ones I'm done.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users