• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

www.byformica.com Camponotus variegatus Journal

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 20 2014 - 2:44 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

May 15, 2014 — There are about 30 workers, and the number is growing slowly.  They are living in a prototype of the Foundry formicarium, but there are almost too many of them for it to be useful.  They refused to move into a prototype that had plaster coating the walls, I'm assuming because there was significantly less room than the more roomy setup they later preferred.

AB camp

June 5, 2014 —  Colony currently numbers about 40 workers, and is living in a 3D printed nest after having outgrown the previous 3D printed nest that was 1/3 the size.  They are connected to a 5 gallon tropical foraging area with misting system and plants.  Once or twice, they abandoned the designated nesting area for a small crevice in the foraging area, but were easily persuaded back into the nesting area once disturbed.  Many different experimental variations of Formula Ant Diets and Supplements are tested.

experiment large 2small

July 28, 2014 — Argentine ants attacked colony of 50-60 workers, killing over half.  Queen was running around frantically in foraging area as Argentine ants swarmed.  Ants were manually rescued and moved to a new habitat.  The colony had been doing well up to this point, tripling in population over the course of about 4 months.

July 30, 2014 — Less than 30 adult worker ants remain alive after the Argentine ant attack.  They are relocated in a Found prototype, but it is too small for them with all their brood, so a new formicarium is designed.

test tube 1small

August 4, 2014 — Ants are successfully moved into a 3D printed spiral formicarium, which offers a large amount of room in a 1.75" vinyl tube, oriented vertically.  The foraging area is a 5 gallon aquarium lined with bare epoxy plastic resin floor and white dye.  I observed one dead worker, unknown cause.

Big Tube

August 6, 2014 — Observed cannibalized pupae, unknown cause
August 6, 2014 — Prepared new food gel (Blue 100)

August 7, 2014 — Observed huge clutch of eggs, no last star larvae.  I believe the ants are still getting settled into their new habitat.

August 10, 2014
— Population, appx. 26 workers. Observed ants only recruiting to food source in darkness

September 24, 2014 — Population, 75+ workers, 40 pupae, many eggs and larvae.  4 dead after being given little food or water; 1 from injury from spider.  About 90% of the ants' diet comes from Formula Blue 100 and Green 600, with the remaining 10% from common insects found inside the house (spiders, nymph roaches, earwigs, etc.)  They are starting to get too great in number for the vertical tube formicarium, which is at about 80% capacity.

October 4, 2014 — Moved entire colony into a prototype of the Flourish formicarium, connected to a 10 gallon foraging area with a custom, 3D-printed hood, lighting system, misting and ventilation system

October 9, 2014 — Filmed colony and foraging area

October 20, 2014 Colony is about 1 year old.  Population has doubled in one month to 140+ workers (an increase of nearly 450% since the Argentine ant attack almost 3 months ago), 60 pupae, and 80-100 eggs and larvae of various stages.  The weather was cooler today (holding at 22C in the ant room), and after weeks of voracious appetite, feeding slowed today, and most ants stayed in the nest with almost none recruiting to Formula food sources, except Green 600 in a liquid feeder that is almost empty.  Formula Ant Diets and Supplements continue to make up 90% or more of their diet.

October 28, 2014 — Last week, I mentioned the ants seemed to be eating less, and I thought it was due to the cooler temperature.  The temperature has since warmed up, but days before it did, they started eating more, again.  The difference?  I removed a liquid feeder that was dispensing a practically unlimited amount of Formula Green 600, and they went from completely ignoring Blue 100, to voraciously eating it again, two days after I removed the liquid feeder.  I can't prove there is a relationship between feeding a very sweet substance, and them not eating the Blue 100, but I can observe what appeared to happen.

The current brood count is down, since a number of workers eclosed within the past week.  I counted about 35 pupae, around 50 larvae, and about 50 eggs.

I added a large quantity of young crickets, which I haven't done in months, to act as janitors alongside the mature roaches.  Many of the crickets have since been eaten, and the hemolymph from the crickets has turned many of the larvae's stomachs a bright yellow/orange, alongside the blue/green color from Formula diets.  It's interesting to see.  I won't be adding any more young crickets for a while, since they can't seem to hold their own against the ants.

November 10, 2014 — 

The colony seems to be on the verge of a major population spike.

Current census:

175+ Workers

80+ Pupae (tons and tons!)

15+ Larvae

35+ Eggs

November 27, 2014 — With the winter weather, the ant room has also gotten significantly cooler, leading to a marked decrease in the momentum of growth.

Most of the now well over 200 workers are just lounging around the nest with full bellies of Blue 100.  There are a few pupae and eggs, but no larvae to be seen.  

At the coldest point, the ants decided to move into the foraging area. which is slightly warmer and wetter because of the 24/7 lighting and misting.  Once discovered, it was easy to prompt them to move back inside the formicarium, as conditions in the tank were less than ideal (wet and no space to hide).

In a somewhat bizarre twist of events, there remains a group of 20-30 workers that have created what appears to be a satellite nest in the upper-most reaches of the foraging area.  They constructed a small canopy from the wet soil and may be incubating larvae or eggs in this small nest, under the dim lights of some burnt out LEDs (the LEDs somehow overheated in this section and are now yellowish and dim).

I have positioned an ITO heated glass on top of the nest portion of the formicarium, which I've since connected to a rheostat, a simple, variable resistor (think lamp dimmer), to keep the heated glass from frying the ants as it did the last time I installed it.  The temperature jumped from just over 60F to now around 75 to 80F inside the nest, with the addition of the ITO heated glass.

149.JPG

This past week, the ants have had a great time testing the new LIGHTYEAR® Liquid Feeder, available now on Amazon.com.  The feeder is so versatile, even the large roaches and crickets in the foraging area are able to drink from it.  Sometimes the roaches knock it over, and the liquid doesn't even spill out.  The colony of 200 plus roaches will down about 1.5 to 2ml of Blue 100 prepared as a liquid per day.

I'm working on a new Formula product that will be more suitable for liquid-only feeding of both carbs and protein, since the current ones containing protein can be somewhat tricky to prepare for liquid use.  The problem with the current ones is that they work best when cooked, but cooking can also activate the agar, causing the product to gel.  

It may be possible to repackage Formula products so that the agar needed for each individual preparation is in its own, separate baggie, instead of integrated into the mixture; however, this doesn't seem like the most elegant solution.

More details soon.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 10 2015 - 1:36 PM.

• Gregory2455 and JediPeaceFrog like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 20 2014 - 5:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Reserved

Edited by drtrmiller, October 20 2014 - 5:15 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 20 2014 - 6:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow they must be comfortable where they are lately; that's a huge population increase.

Awesome video BTW.

#4 Offline steelchair - Posted October 20 2014 - 5:38 PM

steelchair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan

How were they attacked?

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 20 2014 - 5:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How much would you sell one of those spiral formicariums for? Those things look pretty neat!

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 20 2014 - 6:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

They are pretty neat, but the vinyl tubing I used in the prototype has really poor clarity.  If you want me to make a proper one from acrylic tubing, you can PM me for a quote.  

A ballpark estimate would be about $100 for a fully assembled kit, or $30 for just the 3D plastic pieces that you can use to make your own, without any tubing.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 28 2014 - 1:13 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

October 28, 2014 — Last week, I mentioned the ants seemed to be eating less, and I thought it was due to the cooler temperature.  The temperature has since warmed up, but days before it did, they started eating more, again.  The difference?  I removed a liquid feeder that was dispensing a practically unlimited amount of Formula Green 600, and they went from completely ignoring Blue 100, to voraciously eating it again, two days after I removed the liquid feeder.  I can't prove there is a relationship between feeding a very sweet substance, and them not eating the Blue 100, but I can observe what appeared to happen.

The current brood count is down, since a number of workers eclosed within the past week.  I counted about 35 pupae, around 50 larvae, and about 50 eggs.

I added a large quantity of young crickets, which I haven't done in months, to act as janitors alongside the mature roaches.  Many of the crickets have since been eaten, and the hemolymph from the crickets has turned many of the larvae's stomachs a bright yellow/orange, alongside the blue/green color from Formula diets.  It's interesting to see.  I won't be adding any more young crickets for a while, since they can't seem to hold their own against the ants.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 9 2014 - 9:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

November 10, 2014 

The colony seems to be on the verge of a major population spike.

Current census:

175+ Workers

80+ Pupae (tons and tons!)

15+ Larvae

35+ Eggs

#9 Offline dermy - Posted November 11 2014 - 11:31 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

This colony seems to be doing extremely well, are they slowing down at all for Hibernation? Or will they go to the bitter end ?[until you decide okay it's winter now...]

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 11 2014 - 11:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This species does not hibernate.  They'll slow a bit when the ambient temperature in the room averages cooler, but will continue to grow year-round.

#11 Offline dermy - Posted November 11 2014 - 11:36 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

That is sweet! :D That means you can keep watching them grow and grow and grow!

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 21 2014 - 5:29 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

November 21, 2014 — Being a guinea pig doesn't always have its perks.  Today, I pretty much roasted my colony alive by placing a transparent heater over the nest without any type of regulation.  I had forgotten how hot the thing got.  Oops.

I went to bed thinking it would be okay because of how slow the thing was taking to heat up, but awoke just a few hours later to find the colony nearly completely moved out of the formicarium, with temperatures ranging from 100 to 130 F.  A small number of ants are dead in the middle, as the "Flourish" formicarium is a long, winding tube, and the middle was the hottest area.  I don't yet have visual confirmation of the queen, but I'm hoping the ants will decide to move back in when the temperatures recede.

I do like the transparent heating, and so my next goal will be to wire the heated glass to an Arduino and connect the temperature sensor already in the formicarium for perfect thermoregulation.  There appeared to be a sufficient "temperature gradient" that everyone is so fond of, so the ants can move brood to the desired portions of the nest that would ensure optimal development.  Such a setup would allow my colony to continue to grow during the cool winter, without opaque heat pads or tacky heat cables.

Also, the new liquid feeders, the details of which I have shared with a few of you, are working swimmingly.  I've tested Formula Green 600 and Blue 100, both of which have worked with aplomb.  The Blue 100 was somewhat a surprise that it worked in liquid form, because it was the most fickle to get cooked properly during testing.  

I may release a Formula 110 that simply lacks the agar ingredient, because it is my belief that these ingredients work best when cooked, and the easiest way to do that is to microwave, which can be tricky if you're trying to both cook and maintain the liquid state of a agar solution in a microwave.  Alternatively, I may explore a chemically defined synthetic diet that uses free-form amino acids—the only problem is that such a diet may be prohibitively expensive.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 21 2014 - 6:17 AM.

#13 Offline dermy - Posted November 21 2014 - 12:13 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

That sucks :( I hope the queen is alive and well!

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 21 2014 - 12:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That sucks :( I hope the queen is alive and well!

She is alive! They settled back into their home as if nothing had happened once I removed the infernal heater.  

I only lost two ants out of 150+, which is surprising given the unidirectional, winding layout of the nest.

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 27 2014 - 6:01 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

November 27, 2014 — With the winter weather, the ant room has also gotten significantly cooler, leading to a marked decrease in the momentum of growth.

Most of the now well over 200 workers are just lounging around the nest with full bellies of Blue 100.  There are a few pupae and eggs, but no larvae to be seen.  

At the coldest point, the ants decided to move into the foraging area. which is slightly warmer and wetter because of the 24/7 lighting and misting.  Once discovered, it was easy to prompt them to move back inside the formicarium, as conditions in the tank were less than ideal (wet and no space to hide).

In a somewhat bizarre twist of events, there remains a group of 20-30 workers that have created what appears to be a satellite nest in the upper-most reaches of the foraging area.  They constructed a small canopy from the wet soil and may be incubating larvae or eggs in this small nest, under the dim lights of some burnt out LEDs (the LEDs somehow overheated in this section and are now yellowish and dim).

I have positioned an ITO heated glass on top of the nest portion of the formicarium, which I've since connected to a rheostat, a simple, variable resistor (think lamp dimmer), to keep the heated glass from frying the ants as it did the last time I installed it.  The temperature jumped from just over 60F to now around 75 to 80F inside the nest, with the addition of the ITO heated glass.

149.JPG

This past week, the ants have had a great time testing the new LIGHTYEAR® Liquid Feeder, available now on Amazon.com.  The feeder is so versatile, even the large roaches and crickets in the foraging area are able to drink from it.  Sometimes the roaches knock it over, and the liquid doesn't even spill out.  The colony of 200 plus roaches will down about 1.5 to 2ml of Blue 100 prepared as a liquid per day.

I'm working on a new Formula product that will be more suitable for liquid-only feeding of both carbs and protein, since the current ones containing protein can be somewhat tricky to prepare for liquid use.  The problem with the current ones is that they work best when cooked, but cooking can also activate the agar, causing the product to gel.  

It may be possible to repackage Formula products so that the agar needed for each individual preparation is in its own, separate baggie, instead of integrated into the mixture; however, this doesn't seem like the most elegant solution.

More details soon.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 10 2015 - 1:35 PM.

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 10 2015 - 1:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

After I inadvertently baked the nest, months ago, I thought for sure this colony was finished, as the number of larvae reached a low of zero when the weather became cooler.  

Since that time, the colony decided to take residence in a piece of driftwood in their foraging area, but recently evacuated it when I shone a light on their nest.  They are now back living in the Flourish prototype, and I can see eggs, larvae, and pupae.  The colony has been fed nothing but Formula diets and supplements these past few months, but hasn't seemed to have had as voracious an appetite as before.

I do not know what the population count is, but I would expect it to be lower than when I was able to last count, as the ant room was very cold for some time, and brood developed very slowly.

It's nice to know they are still growing, however.

I'll be moving this colony into an experimental modular formicarium hopefully next week.  Despite being Camponotus, this species is not known for excavating hardwood, so I expect to have no problem with my wooden floors.  

More details forthcoming.

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 20 2015 - 8:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Here, I'm feeding some Formula Orange, which is composed of carbohydrates, vitamins, and live insect extract.  

I cooked this food several weeks ago, so I'm optimistic that such a formulation would remain viable for extended periods, in the same way as current Formula diets.

Later, I'll be testing the dry powder to ensure the live insect extract does not spoil or go rancid over time while in powder form.

Formula Orange will be designed primarily for larger colonies, and may come in different strengths (ratios of sugar/insect protein).  The one being tested now is relatively low in protein, only containing the equivalent of 4-5 insects in a 30-day supply.  

The highest expected ratio may contain as many as 20-30 insects in a 30-day supply, but much more testing needs to be done to ensure consistent quality.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 20 2015 - 8:43 AM.

#18 Offline dean_k - Posted January 20 2015 - 12:53 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

So, how to prepare the orange .... (God, it sounds like Oranje, the dutch national football team.. Yes, I am a big fan of European football) is the same as Blue 100?

#19 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 20 2015 - 12:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I love European Football!

Actually, I'd just cook it up like any of them.  I think I previously mentioned trying to make a liquid with just hot water, but strangely my ants seem to prefer the gel over the liquid.

Mix with 35-40 ml water, bring to boil in microwave, pour in mold, refrigerate leftovers.

#20 Offline dean_k - Posted January 20 2015 - 3:48 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I will try it out tomorrow with the cooking method. I prefer gel method over liquid anyway since gel is easier to manipulate and keep frozen if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users