• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is Plumber's Putty Dangerous to Ants?

formicarium toxic ants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline spytim - Posted February 4 2016 - 6:54 PM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

So I was thinking of several different ways to make founding Formicariums for Queens or small colonies. One design i wanted to try out which was essentially just two glass coasters with clay in between. So I was wondering... Would Plumber's putty work in place of the clay? Or does it contain something toxic to ants? 

(Prototype formicarium is attached to this topic) 

Attached Images

• image1.JPG

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 4 2016 - 8:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't think you're supposed to use the clay for the nest, but as a mold to pour plaster into. Ants will dig right through anything that soft. And I don't know what's in plumber's putty, but I imagine it's not good.

#3 Offline soulkeeper79 - Posted June 2 2016 - 8:42 AM

soulkeeper79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIowa

Plumber's putty is generally safe and non-toxic to ants and all wildlife. The main ingredient is standard clay, with small amounts of fine talc/limestone and natural plant/fish based oils mixed in. But as dspdrew indicated, most ants will be able to chew through it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, toxic, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users