• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

lid for glass 10 gal idea

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Drax - Posted April 25 2014 - 3:43 PM

Drax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

well I thought about how you can take a hair dryer to clear plastic wrap and make it harden and take shape. Thinking of this I thought about using another harder plastic that has more visability and molding a lid that I could then line with vaseline and create a seal. create your own air holes and still be removable.

also anyone in the florida area I'm a bussy man with a baby and prego wife and we haven't had much rain lately for there migration

Edited by Drax, April 25 2014 - 3:57 PM.

#2 Offline Drax - Posted April 25 2014 - 4:10 PM

Drax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm sorry I forgot to say this will be lining a 10 gal tank with lid removed for even smooth surface

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 26 2014 - 9:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You could try using acrylic, it's really easy to work with. Have you ever tried acrylic welding?

#4 Offline Tyrrea - Posted May 12 2014 - 7:07 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Sad thing is, in denmark anyway, acrylic glass will cost you ½ a farm, the left engine of a jumbojet and your firstborn... Or maybe I'm looking the wrong places lol

#5 Offline bbulkows - Posted May 12 2014 - 7:11 AM

bbulkows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sad thing is, in denmark anyway, acrylic glass will cost you ½ a farm, the left engine of a jumbojet and your firstborn... Or maybe I'm looking the wrong places lol

It would be in your hardware store wherever the glass is. 

#6 Offline Tyrrea - Posted May 12 2014 - 7:16 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Yeah, and the prices are lame, might as well order a nest from antscanada, just about same price sadly.

Just checked the cheapest i could come up with right now, 1000x1000x5mm sheets, 50 euro or so, and then i have to cut/make it myself too... think ill just stick to the cheaper nests, grout and ytong!!

Edited by Tyrrea, May 12 2014 - 7:20 AM.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted May 12 2014 - 12:37 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Wow, are you sure it is plain acrylic?

Ebay even lists it cheaper with shipping.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users