• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

i2chip's Trachymyrmex colony

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline i2chip - Posted April 19 2016 - 7:27 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

All I have right now is just the queen and some of her fungus, I'm not sure is she's laid any eggs or not. I've taken some pictures of her in her new formicarium that dspdrew has built for me. She adapted to it very quickly even after being dumped in there. I'll continue to keep updated on her. next updated will probably when she has noticeable eggs or has some workers. (Thank you Drew for the nest!)

Image of the queen:

Spoiler

Images of her in her nest:

Spoiler

Edited by i2chip, April 19 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 19 2016 - 8:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It looks to me like you've got the chambers backwards.  Maybe it doesn't matter.  I'm not an expert on this formicarium.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 19 2016 - 8:29 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2016 - 8:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I thought you had a lot more fungus than that. As long as she is a fit queen, I think this amount of fungus should be just fine; it might even be better, considering she has to take care of it all.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2016 - 8:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It looks to me like you've got the chambers backwards.  Maybe it doesn't matter.  I'm not an expert on this formicarium.

Nah it's right. I put holes in all sides of the chambers now, except the front. What is wrong is they're missing connectors, which are being mailed to him now. :facepalm:

#5 Offline i2chip - Posted April 19 2016 - 9:21 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I thought you had a lot more fungus than that. As long as she is a fit queen, I think this amount of fungus should be just fine; it might even be better, considering she has to take care of it all.

Yeah, I said I didn't take much fungus, and while in the test tube she kept all of the fungus alive and cleaned the dirt off of it :)

#6 Offline i2chip - Posted June 13 2016 - 7:16 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

She has her first worker now! She didn't have her yesterday, so she must have enclosed last night. This queen hasn't added to the fungus much but she has taken care of it and now that she has a worker. Hopefully that fungus garden will grow now!

Attached Images

• Trach1.JPG

• drtrmiller likes this

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 13 2016 - 7:54 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Wow, super cool. Looking forward to seeing this grow.

#8 Offline Kingjay - Posted June 13 2016 - 3:00 PM

Kingjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,nc
Where did you find these ants at.They seem to be really cool.Any fungus growing ant is one of my dream ants

#9 Offline i2chip - Posted June 16 2016 - 6:04 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Where did you find these ants at.They seem to be really cool.Any fungus growing ant is one of my dream ants

I found the queen in my backyard in Savannah, GA.

#10 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 16 2016 - 6:56 AM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
What formicarium are you using? Looks good :)

#11 Offline i2chip - Posted June 16 2016 - 11:17 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

What formicarium are you using? Looks good :)

dspdrew made it, I bought it from him :)

#12 Offline Kingjay - Posted June 17 2016 - 7:13 AM

Kingjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,nc
I hope they grow healthy and strong

#13 Offline spytim - Posted June 17 2016 - 7:31 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I found the queen in my backyard in Savannah, GA.

I wonder if there may be some in South Carolina... I've always wanted a fungus grower! Anyway i hope this colony does well! ^_^ 

#14 Offline i2chip - Posted August 9 2016 - 9:31 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

The fungus garden has grown a little bit and the queen has three workers right now. I didn't realize that this species progressed so slow. I asked in another topic what these little guys would use on their fungus, and someone suggested raspberry leaves. It took a while for them to react to the raspberry leaves but eventually they started to add it to their fungus garden. Their garden has doubled in size since I last posted a picture.

IMG_2666_zpsvxp5tnie.jpg

Edited by i2chip, August 9 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#15 Offline kellakk - Posted August 9 2016 - 12:38 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

As for substrate, try giving them caterpillar frass (from caterpillars that eat leaves) and catkins from trees like oak. I've never reared Trachymyrmex before but in some papers (like this one), the researchers fed that to their colonies.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users