• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus introducing new worker to worker-less queen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline iXvXi - Posted April 8 2016 - 2:32 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I have a Camponotus sp. (I believe she's a Camponotus Herculeanus) queen that recently lost her last worker. I was thinking of trying to introduce her to one of my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus workers from my largest colony.

I have a general idea of how i'd do it, but would like some input to greater the outcome if anyone has experience in this.

Is a queen more likely to accept the worker than the worker is to accept the queen?

Can I lower the workers temps without doing it to the queen, so I don't stress her out more than she already is?

Anyone know the general period of time the worker needs to lose their pheromone trace?

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted April 8 2016 - 5:21 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Based on what I've heard, keeping a worker isolated for a few months (3 usually) they will accept a queen (most of the time) assuming there are no other workers already loyal to the queen. Not sure whether it works with different species however.

Crystals seems to have a good idea on how this process works.

Edited by LC3, April 8 2016 - 5:24 PM.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 8 2016 - 6:39 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You shouldn't introduce a worker of one species to a queen of another, even within the same genus, except in the case of slave-making ants.

You could try boosting the queen with larvae or pupae.  In a worst-case scenario, she would simply eat them, after which she might possibly have the energy to produce more of her own.

More likely, however, your queen does not have the genes you want to be able to start a successful colony in captivity, and your efforts will be futile.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 8 2016 - 7:11 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

You shouldn't introduce a worker of one species to a queen of another, even within the same genus, except in the case of slave-making ants.

You could try boosting the queen with larvae or pupae.  In a worst-case scenario, she would simply eat them, after which she might possibly have the energy to produce more of her own.

More likely, however, your queen does not have the genes you want to be able to start a successful colony in captivity, and your efforts will be futile.

It has been shown that Camponotus workers that have lost their queen will happily accept a new queen. Why wouldn't you if the queen is likely to die anyways?

I think you should try to introduce a worker to your queen iXvXi. I have done it with callow workers but I know that doesn't count. 

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 8 2016 - 7:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

They are two different species, making the scenario very different.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 8 2016 - 7:26 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

They are two different species, making the scenario very different.

I have kept both of those species and I believe it would work because the two species are practically identical.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 8 2016 - 8:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've had quite a few Camponotus colonies with workers from different species. My C. vicinus colony has a C. semitestaceus worker living with them right now. They've been living together for about six months. I've only been able to do this with Camponotus of the same subgenus though, and it doesn't always work.

#8 Offline iXvXi - Posted April 9 2016 - 7:13 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I think I'm going to try anyway. At this point, I don't think this queen will make it as she is not settling down. She is walking around the outworld aimlessly and just hanging out instead of going to the new test tube to lay. I'm afraid if I just wait it out, she might die and i'll never get to know if somehow it would have worked.

I was thinking of brood boosting her a little with my largest colony, and take a small worker and put it in the fridge for a while. figured the smaller worker would carry less risk if they don't get along as she is likely to kill it first.

I'll be sure to post updates if I go this route

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2016 - 9:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have joined queens with workers from other colonies lots of times. The best way to do it is to put them in the fridge (assuming they are not tropical ants) for a while after introducing them. This keeps them from being able to do very much damage to each other. Sometimes they accept each other immediately, and sometimes it takes a few days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users