• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID (Crematogaster sp.) (Trabuco Canyon, Cleveland National Forest, Orange County, CA) (11-6-2012)

Crematogaster Trabuco Canyon Cleveland National Forest Orange County California dspdrew ant id

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 19 2013 - 11:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Let me start by saying I was soaking drift wood I just collected earlier for an aquarium, and found this queen crawling along my bathtub, obviously flushed out of her newly established nesting site chamber. There were no other ants anywhere, so I'm assuming she did not have any adult workers yet. Now I collected wood from 2 different locations pretty close to each other, but slightly different terrain. One place I already know has Prenolepis imparis, and Liometopum occidentale, and nothing else I have seen so far. The other location has lots of Harvester Ants and a few colonies of Argentine Ants, and nothing else I have seen yet there.

Location:  Trabuco Canyon, Cleveland National Forest, Orange County, California. (https://maps.google....001206&t=h&z=20)
Habitat:  Either an Oak forest, next to a creek with green plants and vines everywhere (where the Prenolepis imparis, and Liometopum occidentale were spotted), or a dry riverbed with lots of sand, gravel, rocks, and dead plants (where the Harvester Ants were spotted).
Coloration, hue and pattern:  Red head, dark red thorax, and black abdomen.
Distinguishing characteristics:  Nothing in particular that I noticed.
Length in millimeters:  10 mm

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0013.jpg

Edit: Here's some new microscope images of this Crematogaster species.

Queen

med_gallery_2_36_288260.jpg

med_gallery_2_36_228328.jpg

med_gallery_2_36_399403.jpg

Worker

med_gallery_2_36_243235.jpg

med_gallery_2_36_205166.jpg

med_gallery_2_36_6108.jpg

Edited by dspdrew, May 26 2015 - 11:03 PM.
Added new microscope pictures.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 19 2013 - 12:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

According to Dr James Trager, the possibilities from the locality and habitat are C. californica, C. coarctata, C. hespera, C. marioni, or C. mormonum.

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 19 2013 - 12:44 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Le gasp, CREMATOGASTER! =D

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2015 - 6:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not that this is really going to help in ID'ing Crematogaster in Southern California, but I added some new microscope images I just took of this old (now dead) colony.

#5 Offline James C. Trager - Posted May 26 2015 - 6:13 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Some of the CAL Crematogaster are really tough to separate, and at least one ant taxonomist has suggested they're not all really distinct! Aaargh. 
Nice pictures of the specimens, anyway.

• dspdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crematogaster, Trabuco Canyon, Cleveland National Forest, Orange County, California, dspdrew, ant id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users