• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from South Carolina! :D

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TofuPower - Posted March 31 2016 - 4:57 AM

TofuPower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

I've been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can try and get a few new colonies going.  

Several years ago, I had great success with a fire ant colony.  I know...but I was a beginner and loved my stupid little fire ants.  Not being very experienced, I just threw a tube with a queen and a few workers into a 10-gallon tank with 3 inches of packed clean topsoil.  I used talc to keep them inside, and double-sticky tape on the outside to catch the monthly escapee.  They really flourished for a long time.

Then my city water changed the chemical they used in the tap water.  It wiped out the entire colony.  I knew some people that lost their fish after a water change.  I was SO crushed...  This colony had a fascinating learned behavior that I'll probably post about later.

Each year since then, I've tried to get a new colony going.  My co-workers have even learned how to spot queens, and I'll sometimes find little sandwich bags on my desk with one inside.  But, something happens every single year and I fail:  Fungus, Mites, the Flood of 2015, or my own stupidity/forgetfulness.  

This year I'm determined.

I've got my test tubes, cotton, and bottled water ready to go!     :yahoo:

• Subverted likes this

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted March 31 2016 - 6:36 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

How long did you have that colony for?  I hear they grow very quickly and are "fun" to contain once the population grows.  :D

This link may interest you - http://www.formicult...y-links/?p=6001

It includes various tutorials on how to make nests for easy observation, as well many other interesting links.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2016 - 6:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

#4 Offline TofuPower - Posted March 31 2016 - 1:37 PM

TofuPower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Welcome!

How long did you have that colony for?  I hear they grow very quickly and are "fun" to contain once the population grows.  :D

This link may interest you - http://www.formicult...y-links/?p=6001

It includes various tutorials on how to make nests for easy observation, as well many other interesting links.

Thanks for the link!

I had them for about a year and a half, and they didn't hibernate.  I let my house get cold (like 50 degrees) in the winter, but I kept their lamp on during the day. I housed them more like a reptile, so I'm not sure how large the colony was under the dirt.

Containing them wasn't really a problem.  I experimented with different barriers outside with shovel-fulls of yard fire ants, and the talc worked well.  I had heavy duty tape around the outside as a safety net, but it was rare that they defeated the talc and climbed through the screen.

#5 Offline Subverted - Posted March 31 2016 - 5:18 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Welcome and good luck! Everyone seems to have to deal with a bit of a learning curve in this hobby :)

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted March 31 2016 - 9:15 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Welcome to the forum, I admire your perseverance. 

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 31 2016 - 11:12 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted April 1 2016 - 7:45 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If it helps, I once had someone tell me that solenopsis were unable to walk upside down on fluon, no matter how large the colony - and he had a huge one that was digging through ytong like cheese.  :D

Here is an example of a lip I made and covered in olive oil and it contains all of my ants as none of them can or will walk upside down on olive oil. - http://www.formicult...embers/?p=20434

I do look forward to seeing future pictures and updates.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 3 2016 - 1:02 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome. :)

#10 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted April 3 2016 - 12:52 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Welcome from Austria

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users