• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Multiple queens safe in a collecting container?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sehrgut - Posted November 10 2015 - 12:10 PM

sehrgut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA (Georgia), USA

I've been looking at aspirator designs, and I was wondering if capturing multiple queens in an aspirator is safe, or if I need to place each in an individual tube before moving on to the next.

#2 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 10 2015 - 1:34 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
If no aggressive species you can, same species maybe easier. I put some stuffs in a container so the queen can build up a territory and defend from other queen easier if I don't have any extra container.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted November 10 2015 - 2:43 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

It really depends on how long you plan to leave them in there and the species in question. 

5 minutes is usually no problem.  Some aggressive or parasitic species won't co-exist for even that long. 

Some species like Lasius neoniger would have no problem sharing a bottle for days.

If you have a few minutes of searching between queens, just take 30 seconds and dump them into their own container.  Doesn't even need to be a test tube, even a small lunch container will for the day.  It is much easier than having an injured queen.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline sehrgut - Posted November 10 2015 - 6:53 PM

sehrgut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA (Georgia), USA

Thank you! I'm hoping to get together all the right "kit" before the spring, so I can get an interesting species or two. I'm actually about a half hour from a large Georgia swamp, so maybe some trap-jawed ants could even be in my future!

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 11 2015 - 3:04 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

It really depends on the type of ant as has been said. The only time I have had losses is when I collect species which produce large amounts of formic acid and they end up poisoning each other. Myrmecocystus, Formica and Camponotus are the absolute worst.  As far as aspirators go, these by Rose Entomology are the nicest I have ever seen. I love them although they are a bit pricey.http://www.roseentom..._Aspirators.htm

Also do be sure to use a filter, however don't waste your money getting one thru them. Any auto parts store will have what you need for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by gcsnelling, November 11 2015 - 3:14 AM.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 11 2015 - 7:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It really depends on the type of ant as has been said. The only time I have had losses is when I collect species which produce large amounts of formic acid and they end up poisoning each other. Myrmecocystus, Formica and Camponotus are the absolute worst.  As far as aspirators go, these by Rose Entomology are the nicest I have ever seen. I love them although they are a bit pricey.http://www.roseentom..._Aspirators.htm

Also do be sure to use a filter, however don't waste your money getting one thru them. Any auto parts store will have what you need for a fraction of the cost.

I've had the exact same experience with those three genera. I put more than five of them together in a small container, and within 20 minutes they were all dead.

One thing kellakk did when we were out collecting honeypot ants was (like antmaniac suggested) put some sort of mesh inside his container that allowed them all to find a place to sit where they wouldn't be walked over by any of the other queens. He had tons of them in one small container for a long time with no negative effects at all.

#7 Offline BrittonLS - Posted November 11 2015 - 8:25 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
For the most part it should be fine as long as they don't poison themselves with formic acid. But definitely separate them when it is convenient unless you know they will get along. I left a few Pheidole sp. in a Tupperware container over night and they had completely torn each other up, no survivors.

#8 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 13 2016 - 9:53 AM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Thank you! I'm hoping to get together all the right "kit" before the spring, so I can get an interesting species or two. I'm actually about a half hour from a large Georgia swamp, so maybe some trap-jawed ants could even be in my future!

my local dollar store has these small containers for 10 for a dollar. I suggest the round ones as the square ones can give you trouble getting the lid aligned in a pinch. Take the lids off and nest the containers in one another and 10 or 20 can fit in a cargo pocket. If you fill them all you won't care how goofy you look cradling them all in your arms.

IMHO of course.

#9 Offline Reacker - Posted May 18 2016 - 1:36 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I used to use exactly these:

http://www.amazon.co...entrifuge tubes

http://www.amazon.co...entrifuge tubes

as collection tubes. I bet you can get them somewhere else even cheaper if you look. They worked really well. 

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 19 2016 - 7:42 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'd actually be careful with some species. 

I had two Camponotus modoc queens together for an hour and then soon I had no viable Camponotus modoc queens. They both cut off each other's abdomens. :( Lesson learned.

I've had Solenopsis xyloni queens together and they have been fine. And most (smaller) ant queens I've put together have done okay, but the larger ant queens are far more likely to kill each other. Unless they are a species that has more than one queen. But usually they aren't together for so long. And after my Camponotus modoc "accident", I pretty much only keep queens separate unless I know they have more than one queen a nest (or co-found nests). If I run out of containers or whatever to keep queens in, then I stop collecting.

The only chance I got to ever keep Camponotus modoc (by far my favorite Camponotus species in North America) ended up a failure before it even started lol. Still disappointed to this day. :(

Edited by Vendayn, May 19 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted May 19 2016 - 10:00 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I'd actually be careful with some species. 

I had two Camponotus modoc queens together for an hour and then I soon I had no viable Camponotus modoc queens. They both cut off each other's abdomens. :( Lesson learned.

I've had Solenopsis xyloni queens together and they have been fine. And most (smaller) ant queens I've put together have done okay, but the larger ant queens are far more likely to kill each other. Unless they are a species that has more than one queen. But usually they aren't together for so long. And after my Camponotus modoc "accident", I pretty much only keep queens separate unless I know they have more than one queen a nest (or co-found nests). If I run out of containers or whatever to keep queens in, then I stop collecting.

The only chance I got to ever keep Camponotus modoc (by far my favorite Camponotus species in North America) ended up a failure before it even started lol. Still disappointed to this day. :(

Weird I managed to keep a couple of them in a container for a few hours and none even harmed on another.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 19 2016 - 10:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I had a medium-sized container in my pocket once with more than 10 queens in it, and found them all dead in about 20 minutes. This happened with Camponotus and Myrmecocystus. I suspect any Formicinae could end up this way. As for Myrmicinae, I don't have much problems putting them together. Sometimes a couple of them might rip each other to pieces though.

#13 Offline Subverted - Posted May 19 2016 - 10:42 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Formicinae definitely have a tendency to smother themselves with formic acid when you collect them. I always make sure to add in a bit of dirt when collecting things that might squirt formic acid around the container...it seems to help a bit.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users