• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Georgia Solenopsis invicta flight May 19, 2015; May 27, 2015 ; May 18, 2016

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 19 2015 - 11:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Setup

Went outside earlier this morning after it stormed last night.  It was extremely muggy and hot out (high of 90 F), for it being so early.  I had inklings that there would be a flight later that day.  The flight appears to have started around 2 PM, and lasted until about 4 PM local time.

Driveway of hell

Dermy mentioned something about it being warm in Canada, and that reminded me to go check.  There were a few alates on the driveway trying to take back to the air—the driveway was well over 100 F, so some may have been fertile, but just trying to escape death.  Sure enough, within 5 minutes, several struggling alates had died.

The haul

I collected one or two, and, determined for more, went driving around town.  I came across a few in the back of a hotel parking lot—hotels are mostly empty during the day.  Went to another hotel, where dealates were all over specific portions of the curb.  Not to be too greedy, I collected about 40 queens before leaving.

Mission

I'll boost all these queens in order to achieve instant colonies.  I don't really care about keeping these things, but I needed this species in particular to study synthetic ant diets (long-term effects on colony growth), given some recent publications.

Queens were placed in various types of setups:

• Standard water reservoir, cotton test tube
  • Moistened cotton, no reservoir test tube
  • Moistened chipboard, no reservoir test tube
  • Finely ground polyacrylamide, hydrated, test tube
  • Plaster-filled petri dish
  • GroTube XL

I'll boost them later, once the least viable ones have been weeded out.

See also:

I commonly observe flights in this area around Mother's day.  Seeing how Mother's day was just over a week ago, I would say that this is pertinent information for my area.

I know others have found Solenopsis invicta 1-2 months ago in their region, some even further north.  I would speculate these are overwintered queens.  In my area, every mound I knocked over had alate pupae, but very few if any functional alates.  On that note, I believe this to be among the first regular, non-overwintered flights in my region.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 18 2016 - 11:27 AM.

• dermy, AntsTexas, AntTeen804 and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted May 19 2015 - 12:25 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
I like the way you organized this.
  • Etherwulf likes this

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 11:20 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Almost identical environmental conditions triggered another flight today, May 27.  Collected around 30 queens on my driveway alone.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 27 2015 - 3:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What time did they fly this time?

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 3:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Exact same time.  Started falling around 2pm, and were finished before 4pm.

#6 Offline AntsNY - Posted May 27 2015 - 4:41 PM

AntsNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Hey Terry!

Will you be using that many queens as a means of brood collection, or will you just find brood outside?

Curious as I thought about the first option before.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 4:44 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I plan on boosting them so I have instant colonies. This is easy to do with fire ants, since their mounds are conspicuous sores across the disturbed landscape of the south.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 18 2016 - 11:28 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

1-4 PM Today

Mostly cloudy

80 F, 60% humidity

Wind 3 mph

Edited by drtrmiller, May 18 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#9 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 18 2016 - 12:16 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Should be a good day for me as well. Good job on that haul.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users