• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID needed/ Found in southern Nevada 02/27/2016

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Plantfreak1 - Posted February 27 2016 - 1:12 AM

Plantfreak1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was visiting family this week in logandale Nevada. For those of you unfamiliar with the area it is about 1 hour and 40 minutes north of Las Vegas.
The area is a sandy desert dominated by larrea tridentata,(cresote bush) and sagebrush.

The queen was found around noon 10 feet away from an existing nest. The temperature was about 80 degrees farenheight and the nights have been down in the low 50's. Humidity was around 30% with no recent rainfall.
To the best of my ability I have measured the queen and have found her to be 12-15mm in length. Her head and abdomen are are orange, and her throrax is black.
image.jpeg
For those of you concerned for her health she is in good condition. Frequently grooming herself and accepting offerings of sugar water on a cotton swab.

Any attempts at an ID will help my cousin and I to provide her with the best environment possible to start our first ant farm. I hope we can get everything set up before I leave town.

Thank you all in advance.

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 27 2016 - 3:21 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Myrmecocystus of some sort

#3 Offline Plantfreak1 - Posted February 28 2016 - 10:51 AM

Plantfreak1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Are there any other possibilities? I've been looking at that genus and none of them really seem to match up.
If it helps, I'm seeing no bumps between the thorax and abdomen, and no spikes or spines anywhere on its body.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2016 - 12:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I doubt it. That is one cool looking honeypot ant... definitely not a species I've ever found. One thing I've learned about Myrmecocystus is how totally different the queens can look color-wise compared to their workers. Hope she's successful!

#5 Offline kellakk - Posted February 28 2016 - 12:56 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Wow, that looks a lot like the purple-backed Myrmecocystus we found last year. We were never able to really tell what it was besides guessing that it was just a strange form of M. mimicus .

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2016 - 2:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, that looks a lot like the purple-backed Myrmecocystus we found last year. We were never able to really tell what it was besides guessing that it was just a strange form of M. mimicus .

I was pretty sure about the ID after both the queen and workers keying out to M. mimicus.

#7 Offline Plantfreak1 - Posted February 28 2016 - 4:17 PM

Plantfreak1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright!:) thanks a bunch everyone!

#8 Offline Plantfreak1 - Posted June 5 2016 - 12:47 PM

Plantfreak1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is an update on the queen!
Now that there are some workers and I have gotten a better picture of her do we still agree on M. mimicus?

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Edited by Plantfreak1, June 5 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 5 2016 - 1:13 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Myrmecocystus yes, M. mimicus? your guess is as good as mine.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 5 2016 - 1:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The queen definitely looks like a lot of the queens we caught last season, after kellakk mentioned it. I had one that ended up with workers that look very similar to these. I am yet to hunt down a large worker and pin it up. Once I do, I might be able to get it ID'd. I think it's possible this could be the same species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users