• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dirty test tube... water

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline prettycode - Posted February 16 2016 - 4:32 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I'm aware that on the ant side of a test tube setup, the cotton gets dark and moldy, and that alone is not cause for alarm.

However, I recently took a half-dozen test tubes out of hibernation, and the water in two of them is "off." 

In one, the water has a yellow tint. It's stained the cotton yellow, too. In the other, the water has a light rust-colored tint. The cotton hasn't turned the rust color.

Should I try to get these two colonies to move out into fresh tubes? Both are camponotus queens, one with one worker, and one with three workers.

Whenever I've tried to move camponotus in the past, the queens have spontaneously died, so I'm pretty reluctant.

Just looking for any advice on how to handle the situation. Thanks!

Edited by prettycode, February 16 2016 - 4:34 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 16 2016 - 5:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I usually change my test tubes when the water changes color. The different colors I think is probably bacteria. The yellow I think is hydrogen sulfide caused by bacteria if I'm not mistaken, and if it is, it will smell like rotten eggs.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 16 2016 - 5:22 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Unless the ants are showing adverse behavior, no action is needed.

It will be easy to tell if the ants are adversely affected. They will be either agitated, moving away from the cotton and moist end, or take on a lethargic, or poisoned, stumbling gait.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Miles - Posted February 16 2016 - 5:26 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

As a preventative maintenance measure, it is always best to move your colonies to fresh test tubes (if you're going that route), rather than keeping them in potentially unhealthy conditions.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 16 2016 - 5:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I find that when something like this becomes a problem, it often does a lot of damage, very quickly when in such a small space. Too many times I'll check on a colony, and it's already completely dead. I think if they have a foraging area that allows them to leave the test tube, it's less of a problem.

• Miles likes this

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 16 2016 - 6:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The stress of moving a small colony from a benign, but foul-looking test tube, can prove just as fatal as leaving them in a verifiably inhospitable environment.

Without any other information than a slight change of the color of the water or cotton, it is impossible to know with any reasonable degree of scientific certainty whether the conditions are or could pose any danger to ants.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who blankly advises a forced relocation of an ant colony, for the aforementioned reasons. The best compromise might be to couple two tubes together, and allow the ants to move naturally, rather than acting with a sense of urgency on what may very well be a false sense of danger.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 16 2016 - 6:15 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 16 2016 - 7:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The stress of moving a small colony from a benign, but foul-looking test tube, can prove just as fatal as leaving them in a verifiably inhospitable environment.

Without any other information than a slight change of the color of the water or cotton, it is impossible to know with any reasonable degree of scientific certainty whether the conditions are or could pose any danger to ants.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who blankly advises a forced relocation of an ant colony, for the aforementioned reasons. The best compromise might be to couple two tubes together, and allow the ants to move naturally, rather than acting with a sense of urgency on what may very well be a false sense of danger.

I don't think we can be any more certain that moving a colony is going to kill them as we can that colored water will kill them. Personally I think colored water would be more likely to hurt them than moving them to a new test tube. Obviously you believe the opposite. I move colonies all the time, and for more trivial reasons than contaminated water. I am yet to see any evidence that simply moving a colony is going to kill or hurt it. I think the harm that stress does to a colony happens from repeated disturbances over a period of time. This is just what I've gathered from my experience keeping ants. I know it hasn't been long, but it's been a lot. :lol:

• Ants4fun, Miles and LC3 like this

#8 Offline BrittonLS - Posted February 18 2016 - 1:31 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

... I am yet to see any evidence that simply moving a colony is going to kill or hurt it...

Didn't you instigate a mass civil war in one of your colonies by moving it? :P

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 18 2016 - 1:43 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, Acromyrmex sometimes go nuts when they are relocated, but they are not being moved from test tubes.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 18 2016 - 6:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

... I am yet to see any evidence that simply moving a colony is going to kill or hurt it...

Didn't you instigate a mass civil war in one of your colonies by moving it? :P

It happened one time when I moved that colony, but I never found out what specifically caused it. I have since moved that colony around a few more times, in much more invasive ways than the first time, and there were no problems at all. Not to mention the other twenty or so Acromyrmex colonies I moved around the same way, two of which are even larger than the one that had the war. So no, I see no evidence of that causing them any harm.

• Ants4fun likes this

#11 Offline prettycode - Posted February 19 2016 - 8:22 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Have to give my support to this. I've had such bad experiencing trying to relocate camponotus early (< 5 worker).

What I've done is given each test tube a container with a breathable lid. I've put a fresh tube in each container, and covered the fresh tube with transparent red plastic. Both containers are in a room with the light on 24/7.

If they want to move, they can move. I'll just have to hope they're smart enough to move before they die, if indeed the fouled-water tubes ever do become problematic.

Thanks for all the discussion!

#12 Offline Barristan - Posted April 10 2016 - 9:05 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

My Lasius niger found a way to turn water into wine:

IMG_0597.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users