• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why I Am Joining a Top Secret Club

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Offline klawfran3 - Posted February 18 2016 - 7:40 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

To have a diet that fits all ants is quite impossible since they are so diverse.

Might a sollution be to introduce different kinds of Formula Blue, more specific towards different sp.?

Actually that sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how it would be executed though.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#42 Offline Mannomorth - Posted February 18 2016 - 7:45 PM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

I don't get it. You spend tons of time designing a product, give away the plans for free, don't bother to copyright or patent it, and then whinge when others commercialize it.

Its the companies that patent other peoples works that are wrong. To keep the hobby and community open is not impossible but when some vendors decide to patent/copyright "their" work it hurts everyone. But since some vendor does I have to say that it may force the rest to follow. So I would suggest to actually patent/copyright the work, now I don't know how much it costs in the US, but it is quite expensive in Sweden so I don't know if this is even a realistic thought.

Perhaps several hobbyists and small size vendors can go together and use each other copyrights and prevent any other vendors from stealing designs.

I'm opposed all kinds of patent and copyright as I find that it prohibits smaller companies to grow, but you can't sadly only live on pricipal.

#43 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 18 2016 - 8:36 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I don't get it. You spend tons of time designing a product, give away the plans for free, don't bother to copyright or patent it, and then whinge when others commercialize it.

Its the companies that patent other peoples works that are wrong. To keep the hobby and community open is not impossible but when some vendors decide to patent/copyright "their" work it hurts everyone. But since some vendor does I have to say that it may force the rest to follow. So I would suggest to actually patent/copyright the work, now I don't know how much it costs in the US, but it is quite expensive in Sweden so I don't know if this is even a realistic thought.

Perhaps several hobbyists and small size vendors can go together and use each other copyrights and prevent any other vendors from stealing designs.

I'm opposed all kinds of patent and copyright as I find that it prohibits smaller companies to grow, but you can't sadly only live on pricipal.

the copyright law in US is VERY easy to take advantage of and misuse. People even successfully trade mark common words (though mostly they get denied, but they do slip through), which is crazy in itself...EA (electronic arts) is currently trying to copyright the word "Ghosts", its stupid. Probably get denied, but they are a huge gaming company so who knows lol.

But its sad that people just steal designs and copyright them, even if they didn't actually come up with it. It doesn't help the ant hobby at all, which is still small compared to other hobbies. But, stealing things is the way of the present times and copyrighting stupid stuff that shouldn't be copyrighted at all, or even be attempted to try to copyright.

#44 Offline Roachant - Posted February 20 2016 - 4:35 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Mannomorph may have touched on something. If several of us get together maybe we all can help out and get DrTMillers designs patented.

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 20 2016 - 11:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:lol: How much money do you have?

#46 Offline john.harrold - Posted February 21 2016 - 2:28 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

Mannomorph may have touched on something. If several of us get together maybe we all can help out and get DrTMillers designs patented.

While your intent is nice there are some important obstacles to what you're proposing.

First I don't believe you'll be able to patent anything that Terry has already made available. The other aspect is that simply patenting something isn't terribly useful. It's necessary to enforce those patents to have the desired outcome. That means that Terry would have to hire lawyers. Lawyers are expensive, and while it's possible to get their fees incorporated into judgements, it would still be necessary to pay the lawyers until the completion of a given case. These things work out for larger companies because they have legal departments dedicated to this kind of thing. For an individual running a business this path of patenting designs and defending those patents would quickly draw Terrys time away from the work he seems to enjoy and into legal work that isn't much fun for him. 

Edited by john.harrold, February 21 2016 - 2:35 PM.

#47 Offline Mannomorth - Posted February 25 2016 - 7:19 AM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

While your intent is nice there are some important obstacles to what you're proposing.

First I don't believe you'll be able to patent anything that Terry has already made available. The other aspect is that simply patenting something isn't terribly useful. It's necessary to enforce those patents to have the desired outcome. That means that Terry would have to hire lawyers. Lawyers are expensive, and while it's possible to get their fees incorporated into judgements, it would still be necessary to pay the lawyers until the completion of a given case. These things work out for larger companies because they have legal departments dedicated to this kind of thing. For an individual running a business this path of patenting designs and defending those patents would quickly draw Terrys time away from the work he seems to enjoy and into legal work that isn't much fun for him. 

Yes this is correct, that's why my idea was that several small vendors stick together such as THA and ByFormica and would therefore share the burden, I don't see any other way to keep the innovators in business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users