• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Veromessor pergandei Journal [138] (Discontinued 12-14-2021)

dspdrew messor pergandei journal

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 11 2014 - 6:58 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Or could the minor outgassing of the plasti-dip in the enclosed formicarium concentrate to levels lethal to the ants? But I'll echo what's been said, that is a neat looking design! And as a side note, I'd hate to have to try locating an escapee on that countertop!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#62 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2014 - 12:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Interesting that you seem to be having issues with plasti-dip...I've used it almost a dozen times now to coat the exposed areas of firebrick blocks without consequence. Many instances I forced the ants to move with less than a day of cure time, while a strong odor still lingered, no problem.

Wow that's weird. I did test out that piece of Ytong with some Pogonomyrmex subnitidus, and 24 hours went by and they didn't seem to have any problems. I sprayed some more on that same piece of Ytong, let it dry for a few minutes and put three Veromessor workers on it with a small container covering them. It wasn't more than one minute before they started contorting and curling up. They were dead within about 10 minutes. :( It looked as though it was attacking their nervous system by the way they were acting. This was exactly how the ones that died the other day were acting too, so I am positive the Plasti Dip is what did it. I'll try this same experiment again, but after letting the Plasti Dip cure for a few days first and see what happens.

#63 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2014 - 4:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 11-14-2014

After the deaths slowed down almost to a stop, and the problem was fixed, I moved them back into the formicarium again. After dumping them back into the out world, they were completely moved into the nest within 20 minutes. I guess it's safe to say they like it considering only about 30 of the 550 remaining workers are in the out world at any given time.

gallery_2_131_272013.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_430564.jpg

#64 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 14 2014 - 5:29 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Are we taking bets for how long it will take for the front to be come nastified and cloudy with poo?  Otherwise great job.  

Seems like they may need a tad more room, however.  I'm guessing that's why you made a nest hole at both the top and bottom of the thing?

Edited by drtrmiller, November 14 2014 - 5:31 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#65 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2014 - 5:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Seems like they may need a tad more room, however.

I think that's the perfect colony density.

I'm guessing that's why you made a nest hole at both the top and bottom of the thing?

Yeah, these will be stackable to expand the nest.

#66 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2014 - 5:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
med_gallery_2_163_56846.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_175147.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_409266.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_367220.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_437685.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_32261.jpg

med_gallery_2_163_5755.jpg

Edited by dspdrew, June 19 2020 - 1:01 PM.
Added video

#67 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 26 2014 - 6:16 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I can't wait to move! 0_0 So much brood!

#68 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 26 2014 - 10:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

This is one species I definitely want to catch come mating season. To me, they looked like black Pogonomyrmex, are their feeding and nesting habits also similar?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#69 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 26 2014 - 11:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Extremely similar, but these are also polymorphic and grow very fast.

#70 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2014 - 11:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wait 'till you see Veromessor andrei, they're almost identical to Pogonomyrmex.

• Rstheant likes this

#71 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2014 - 10:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-1-2014

After discovering a hole the ants have been chewing in the Ytong about a week ago, today they just made it all the way through. Luckily I already had the whole formicarium in a tub with fluon, so no ants got away.

#72 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2014 - 10:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-20-2014

The colony and their formicarium have been sitting in a tub now for about two weeks. Quite a few workers have died, and I have no idea why. Two days ago, I removed the out world, and saw how many of them were living all around the wet Ytong inside the base container. They're still primarily inside the Ytong nest with all their brood, and as always, there's one giant mass of freshly laid eggs and small larvae.

#73 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 28 2014 - 10:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-28-2014

I moved the colony out of the formicarium and made the needed changes to it. After moving them all out, I realized how many workers there were living inside the base container outside the Ytong nest, and it was way more than I realized. Even though there have been a large amount of deaths, I counted approximately 1200 workers! It doesn't look like the queen has added anymore eggs to the big egg cluster lately; it's the smallest I've ever seen it right now.

For now, I have this colony on my webcam. You can see them here (http://antcam.gyg.cc:8081).

#74 Offline dean_k - Posted December 29 2014 - 10:59 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

The link says no device selected.

Maybe, the ants got out and ate off the cable?

Edited by dean_k, December 29 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#75 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 29 2014 - 11:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

#76 Offline ToeNhi - Posted December 29 2014 - 9:54 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
You are brave leaving the top open like that. It looks like they really want to get out of there. What ratio of Fluon to water are you using?

-ToeNhi

#77 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 29 2014 - 10:32 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I can't speak for Drew, but I can tell you that properly applied Fluon is effective on plastics in excess of 1:16 Fluon to water.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#78 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 29 2014 - 10:35 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How did you get the lid cut open like that?

#79 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 30 2014 - 2:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You are brave leaving the top open like that. It looks like they really want to get out of there. What ratio of Fluon to water are you using?

1:5 Fluon to water.

How did you get the lid cut open like that?

Micro table saw and a drill press.

#80 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 9 2015 - 7:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
They decided to turn their food tray into a trash can. :facepalm:

med_gallery_2_163_523743.jpg
  • antmaniac and DaAnt like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, messor pergandei, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users