• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

hello

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline looseyfur - Posted December 9 2015 - 1:20 PM

looseyfur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello-

I have been colonizing roaches for a long time, and before that I had a pretty imense collection of tarantulas... however I switched girlfriends, had two kids and the tarantulas were not part of the formula ;)  Parted with that entire collection a few years ago and like I said I was able to get some good buy in on the roach colonies and now the whole family really takes part and enjoys the colonies. I keep dubia as feeders, and have a Giant Cave display, and a Hisser display.

The roach colonies, really got me interested in ants something about the husbandry of maintaing a colony of insects really appeals to me. I keept seeing stuff online, then like any decent bug nerd I started reading and watching EVERYTHING I could find. what's not to like? Creating their living space, and outworld, or buying something readymade from some folks in the community, its been pretty much a 24 hour a day ant-a-thon between me and my 5 year old son.

I'm really looking forward to getting into this hobby as well, and I'm greatful for all the great tutorials and images and detailed posts to read ;)

best-

Loosey

#2 Offline dermy - Posted December 9 2015 - 1:43 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome to the forums! I bet you'll find ants really interesting, since they have the same qualities as other "insect Colonies" but have the "Eusocial" aspect to them as well! You also have the best thing going for you Patience :P That's what most first timers sadly lack [most of the time]

Good luck :D

Edited by dermy, December 9 2015 - 1:44 PM.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 9 2015 - 1:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 9 2015 - 1:45 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Welcome to the hobby!

You came to the right place to get started. There are pretty much two ways you can get hold of an ant colony. You can either purchase a colony yor you can collect your own queen and raise a colony up from nothing. I personally bought my first colony (the queen turned 3 years old recently!). However, you could do whichever one you want. If you are interested in buying a colony they can range anywhere from $5 to $300. You will most likely to be able to find someone on formiculture who can sell to you.  If you are interested in collecting a queen you will have to wait until the spring. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#5 Offline ferhat - Posted December 9 2015 - 2:14 PM

ferhat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTurkey
welcome :)

#6 Offline iXvXi - Posted December 9 2015 - 2:16 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Welcome

#7 Offline looseyfur - Posted December 9 2015 - 2:17 PM

looseyfur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hey thanks for the welcome posts.

(y)

#8 Offline LC3 - Posted December 9 2015 - 4:02 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Welcome to Formiculture :)

#9 Offline antmaniac - Posted December 9 2015 - 7:43 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Although the queens and the workers are all female, I guess husbandry is a right choice of word there. Welcome to Formiculture. :) 

#10 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted December 10 2015 - 10:42 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome!

#11 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted December 31 2015 - 12:20 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

welcome :bye:

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users