• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reasonable founding chamber?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline shoegazer - Posted December 23 2015 - 6:56 AM

shoegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So I made this founding chamber out of a beads/craft container at Hobby lobby. I like it in theory, because it allows for separate opening of 6 different chambers for food, hydration, etc. It's polyethylene, but I was able to attach substrate with an appropriate plastics glue. The lids close fairly tightly, but I wouldn't try this for any small to tiny species.

I have yet to try raising any queen ant ever, so I'd be curious to hear what other folks think of the design. 

20151223_074923_HDR_resized_zpsmi2hqxef.

20151223_075038_HDR_resized_zpsxjv8ivxy.

20151223_075103_HDR_resized_zpshzbsw6z9.

Cheers!

Edited by shoegazer, December 23 2015 - 6:57 AM.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 23 2015 - 7:27 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

"plastics glue" doesn't sound good.

• Etherwulf likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline shoegazer - Posted December 23 2015 - 7:35 AM

shoegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Why is that, exactly? Fumes?

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 23 2015 - 7:39 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Firstly, I don't know what glue you're talking about.  You will need to specify the brand and type exactly for a more informed opinion.

Most glues that are designed for plastics have dangerous chemicals in them.  Ants are very sensitive animals, with solvents and other volatiles being extremely poisonous.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline shoegazer - Posted December 23 2015 - 7:45 AM

shoegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

In this case, Loctite brand for vinyl, fabric, & plastic. Do you have a brand you would recommend to avoid this potential?

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 23 2015 - 7:53 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes. That adhesive has MEK and toluene in it, both of which are extremely dangerous solvents.

I would have recommended a two-part epoxy, thoroughly cured for a few days.  Also, a finer sand would probably be better than the boulders you currently have in there.

A plaster stone would be even better, though, as it's the most biocompatible.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 23 2015 - 7:54 AM.

#7 Offline shoegazer - Posted December 23 2015 - 8:12 AM

shoegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks! From the info I can find in MSDS and half-life calcs, one could realistically expect the MEK and toluene to be essentially gone in a few weeks. I won't have ants for many months yet. I have used this glue in the proximity of several other inverts in the past, including Polistes wasps, without much thought about it post-cure and no observed ill-effects. You've obviously looked into this in depth, do you have a specific brand of epoxy in mind? Most epoxies (and glues) have a difficult time bonding to polyethylene.

I hear ya on the boulders, it was all I had on hand for the first go. I'm going to make several of these to see what works and what doesn't.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted December 23 2015 - 9:09 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have used aquarium silicone and even grout in the past with no problems.  The grout one was prefered by the ants as it kept the humidity more stable.

There is this link - Pictures of founding chambers for queens - http://www.formicult...ounding-queens/

• drtrmiller likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline Etherwulf - Posted December 23 2015 - 9:14 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

In your case, a thin layer of grout or plaster followed by a layer of fine sand should work better. That's the standard low-budget setups used in laboratories so it should work well for most genera of ants with the few exceptions.

• drtrmiller likes this

#10 Offline shoegazer - Posted December 23 2015 - 9:31 AM

shoegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Awesome, thanks for the helpful comments, all.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 23 2015 - 10:33 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think that glue is basically the same as the vinyl cement I sometimes use. As long as it is fully cured (all the solvent is evaporated), it should be fine. I have killed ants before putting them in something bonded together with plastic cement that was not fully cured. The fumes from the solvent are very strong.

#12 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted December 23 2015 - 10:55 AM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
That looks cool.

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users